how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

Post by Armin S. A. Roehr » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Dear Solaris Gurus,

        by some stupid accident
I deleted /var/sadm/patch
Is there any way I can rebuild that
information?
(no backup of that directory.. outch!)

Thanks.
        Armin

how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

Post by Armin S. A. Roehr » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Suppose I get really desperate and want to find out
at least "which" patches my system has already installed.
pkginfo returns nothing.
Is there any way of finding that out?

In the worst case, do I have to scan the entire harddisc
for "bit-patterns" to identify which patches I have?

Thanks,
        desperate Armin :-)

Quote:

> Dear Solaris Gurus,

>         by some stupid accident
> I deleted /var/sadm/patch
> Is there any way I can rebuild that
> information?
> (no backup of that directory.. outch!)

> Thanks.
>         Armin

how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

Post by Anthony Mandi » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Suppose I get really desperate and want to find out
> at least "which" patches my system has already installed.
> pkginfo returns nothing.

        Of course not. You want "showrev -p".

Quote:> >         by some stupid accident
> > I deleted /var/sadm/patch
> > Is there any way I can rebuild that
> > information?

        Just recreate the directory. The subdirectories within
        it aren't really too important (unless you want to
        backout patches). The actual patch information is stored
        elsewhere.

-am

Post by achet.. » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Suppose I get really desperate and want to find out
> > at least "which" patches my system has already installed.
> > pkginfo returns nothing.

>    Of course not. You want "showrev -p".

> > >         by some stupid accident
> > > I deleted /var/sadm/patch
> > > Is there any way I can rebuild that
> > > information?

>    Just recreate the directory. The subdirectories within
>    it aren't really too important (unless you want to
>    backout patches). The actual patch information is stored
>    elsewhere.

  And where is this information stored? Or where is stored information
about installed packages, because I cannot install some patches.
Patchadd thinks there's no SUNWcsu package installed and I don't know
how to fool it :(

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Chris Thomps » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>> > Suppose I get really desperate and want to find out
>> > at least "which" patches my system has already installed.
>> > pkginfo returns nothing.

>>        Of course not. You want "showrev -p".

>>        Just recreate the directory. The subdirectories within
>>        it aren't really too important (unless you want to
>>        backout patches). The actual patch information is stored
>>        elsewhere.
>  And where is this information stored? Or where is stored information
>about installed packages, because I cannot install some patches.
>Patchadd thinks there's no SUNWcsu package installed and I don't know
>how to fool it :(

showrev -p (for example) depends only on the /var/sadm/pkg/*/pkginfo files.

Is your /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWcsu intact? Or have you clobbered /var/sadm/pkg
as well as /var/sadm/patch? If so, and you have no backups, it's a lost
cause: time to reinstall.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

Post by kuma » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

#showrev -p
use the above command.

>Suppose I get really desperate and want to find out
>at least "which" patches my system has already installed.
>pkginfo returns nothing.
>Is there any way of finding that out?

>In the worst case, do I have to scan the entire harddisc
>for "bit-patterns" to identify which patches I have?

>Thanks,
> desperate Armin :-)

>> Dear Solaris Gurus,

>>         by some stupid accident
>> I deleted /var/sadm/patch
>> Is there any way I can rebuild that
>> information?
>> (no backup of that directory.. outch!)

>> Thanks.
>>         Armin

how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

Post by Matthias Riebe » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

[..]

Quote:> Is your /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWcsu intact? Or have you clobbered /var/sadm/pkg
> as well as /var/sadm/patch? If so, and you have no backups, it's a lost
> cause: time to reinstall.

I have similar problems. I have an empty /var/sadm/patch directory. The pkg
directories are ok. Pkginfo shows me all installed packages but I get no
response from showrev -p. When I try to install the cluster patch I always
get error code 5 and 25.
It is still possible to install the patches? Maybe without the backout
option and is this a good idea?

Thanks for help

matthias

how to rebuild /var/sadm/patch

Post by Mike Kroes » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I've fixed the problem.  I re-installed and re-patched the OS.
It's the quickest way.  It's the only practical way.  There is no
magic I know of here.

Next time, do those backups.

Quote:> Dear Solaris Gurus,