Interrupt Level 4

Interrupt Level 4

Post by Alex Quelc » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 17:47:08



Hi All.

I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong group to post
this to, but I'm reaching the end of my mind.

I have a Sun Sparc 5 Running Solaris.  It's been running happily as a web
server for a long time now.  However recently it's starting behaving badly
It seems to crash on a fairly regular basis... I've looked in the messages
log, and the same two messages keep appearing, but I've inherited this
machine, I didn't set it up, I have no idea what the messages mean.

The last thing that appears in the log before the crash is

15:38:01 unix WARNING: Interrupt Level 4 not Serviced

although last night, since we didn't notice it had crashed it then went on
to do a

00:00:24 Solstice Backup Registration: (info) License enabler #none
(Networker/10 eval) has expired.

The crash when it happens, I've never seen, but I can tell it has crashed as
the screen disappears and the message

Timeout waiting for ARP RARP packet

repeats over and over again down the screen on a sort of timeout basis.  I
don't know if anyone out there has had similar messages but I'm pretty much
open for any ideas..

Thanks in advance

Alex

 
 
 

Interrupt Level 4

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 04:36:49



> Hi All.

> I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong group to post
> this to, but I'm reaching the end of my mind.

> I have a Sun Sparc 5 Running Solaris.  It's been running happily as a web
> server for a long time now.  However recently it's starting behaving badly
> It seems to crash on a fairly regular basis... I've looked in the messages
> log, and the same two messages keep appearing, but I've inherited this
> machine, I didn't set it up, I have no idea what the messages mean.

> The last thing that appears in the log before the crash is

> 15:38:01 unix WARNING: Interrupt Level 4 not Serviced

> although last night, since we didn't notice it had crashed it then went on
> to do a

> 00:00:24 Solstice Backup Registration: (info) License enabler #none
> (Networker/10 eval) has expired.

> The crash when it happens, I've never seen, but I can tell it has crashed as
> the screen disappears and the message

> Timeout waiting for ARP RARP packet

> repeats over and over again down the screen on a sort of timeout basis.  I
> don't know if anyone out there has had similar messages but I'm pretty much
> open for any ideas..

> Thanks in advance

> Alex

A quick guess, youre disk makes the system panic/crash,
boot env is probably : disk net
and it reboots from net & there is no bootserver responding !?
ARP/RARP is when you dont get bootresponse over the net.
check: /var/adm/messages or dmesg for SCSI errors.

//J?rgen

 
 
 

Interrupt Level 4

Post by l.. » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 07:46:20


As I recall, networker is part of Legato backup. Though I've seen Legato
generate the bizarre errors due to licensing it doesn't cause SCSI
complaints.



> #   Hi All.
> #
> #   I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong group
to post
> #   this to, but I'm reaching the end of my mind.
> #
> #   I have a Sun Sparc 5 Running Solaris.  It's been running happily as a
web
> #   server for a long time now.  However recently it's starting behaving
badly
> #   It seems to crash on a fairly regular basis... I've looked in the
messages
> #   log, and the same two messages keep appearing, but I've inherited this
> #   machine, I didn't set it up, I have no idea what the messages mean.
> #
> #   The last thing that appears in the log before the crash is
> #
> #   15:38:01 unix WARNING: Interrupt Level 4 not Serviced

> ----

> Previously...


UNWab_47_3%3A%2Fsafedir%2Fs
pace3%2Fcoll2%2FSUNWaadm%2Ftoc%2FTROUBLESHOOT%3A1897;bt=Solaris+Common+Messa
ges+and+Troubleshooting+Gui
de;ps=ps%2FSUNWab_47_3%2FTROUBLESHOOT%2F02.Alphabetical_Message_Listing#116

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> #
> #    WARNING: processor level 4 interrupt not serviced
> #
> #    Cause This message is basically a diagnostic from the SCSI driver.
> #    Especially on machines with the sun4c architecture, it can appear
> #    on the console every 10 minutes or so.
> #
> #    Action To reduce the frequency of this message, add this line
> #    near the bottom of the /etc/system file and reboot:
> #
> #    set esp:esp_use_poll_loop=0
> #
> #    Technical Notes You might also see this message repeatedly after
> #    manually removing a CD when it was busy. Don't do this! To get
> #    the system back to normal, reboot the system with the -r
> #    (reconfigure) option.

> FYI, the last sentence needs this syntax command: reboot -- -r

> There's also a patch report that includes this text:

http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fpatches%2F107458&zon...
2interrupt%2A%20not%2A%20se

- Show quoted text -

> rviced%22%2A%20%20%22level%2A%204%22%2A%20
> #
> #    (from 107458-03)
> #
> #    4200283 Ultra 5/10 reports: WARNING: level 4 interrupt not serviced.

> ----


> #
> #   although last night, since we didn't notice it had crashed it then
went on
> #   to do a
> #
> #   00:00:24 Solstice Backup Registration: (info) License enabler #none
> #   (Networker/10 eval) has expired.

> Completely separate problem.

 
 
 

Interrupt Level 4

Post by Alex Quelc » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:41:05


I've done some more investigation, and this seems to be a bit of a red
herring actually.  Both of these errors seem to be con-incidentally the last
thing that happens.

The machine just seems to crash.. The boot enviroment is set to disk first,
and if I remove power it will reboot from the hard-disk.  It only gives me
the arp/rarp message when it crashes.

Has anyone else ever encountered this? any guesses?

I don't even know where to start looking.

Alex.



> > Hi All.

> > I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong group to
post
> > this to, but I'm reaching the end of my mind.

> > I have a Sun Sparc 5 Running Solaris.  It's been running happily as a
web
> > server for a long time now.  However recently it's starting behaving
badly
> > It seems to crash on a fairly regular basis... I've looked in the
messages
> > log, and the same two messages keep appearing, but I've inherited this
> > machine, I didn't set it up, I have no idea what the messages mean.

> > The last thing that appears in the log before the crash is

> > 15:38:01 unix WARNING: Interrupt Level 4 not Serviced

> > although last night, since we didn't notice it had crashed it then went
on
> > to do a

> > 00:00:24 Solstice Backup Registration: (info) License enabler #none
> > (Networker/10 eval) has expired.

> > The crash when it happens, I've never seen, but I can tell it has
crashed as
> > the screen disappears and the message

> > Timeout waiting for ARP RARP packet

> > repeats over and over again down the screen on a sort of timeout basis.
I
> > don't know if anyone out there has had similar messages but I'm pretty
much
> > open for any ideas..

> > Thanks in advance

> > Alex

> A quick guess, youre disk makes the system panic/crash,
> boot env is probably : disk net
> and it reboots from net & there is no bootserver responding !?
> ARP/RARP is when you dont get bootresponse over the net.
> check: /var/adm/messages or dmesg for SCSI errors.

> //J?rgen

 
 
 

Interrupt Level 4

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 07:15:27



> I've done some more investigation, and this seems to be a bit of a red
> herring actually.  Both of these errors seem to be con-incidentally the last
> thing that happens.

> The machine just seems to crash.. The boot enviroment is set to disk first,
> and if I remove power it will reboot from the hard-disk.  It only gives me
> the arp/rarp message when it crashes.

> Has anyone else ever encountered this? any guesses?

> I don't even know where to start looking.

> Alex.




> > > Hi All.

> > > I'm new to this whole thing, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong group to
> post
> > > this to, but I'm reaching the end of my mind.

> > > I have a Sun Sparc 5 Running Solaris.  It's been running happily as a
> web
> > > server for a long time now.  However recently it's starting behaving
> badly
> > > It seems to crash on a fairly regular basis... I've looked in the
> messages
> > > log, and the same two messages keep appearing, but I've inherited this
> > > machine, I didn't set it up, I have no idea what the messages mean.

> > > The last thing that appears in the log before the crash is

> > > 15:38:01 unix WARNING: Interrupt Level 4 not Serviced

> > > although last night, since we didn't notice it had crashed it then went
> on
> > > to do a

> > > 00:00:24 Solstice Backup Registration: (info) License enabler #none
> > > (Networker/10 eval) has expired.

> > > The crash when it happens, I've never seen, but I can tell it has
> crashed as
> > > the screen disappears and the message

> > > Timeout waiting for ARP RARP packet

> > > repeats over and over again down the screen on a sort of timeout basis.
> I
> > > don't know if anyone out there has had similar messages but I'm pretty
> much
> > > open for any ideas..

> > > Thanks in advance

> > > Alex

> > A quick guess, youre disk makes the system panic/crash,
> > boot env is probably : disk net
> > and it reboots from net & there is no bootserver responding !?
> > ARP/RARP is when you dont get bootresponse over the net.
> > check: /var/adm/messages or dmesg for SCSI errors.

> > //J?rgen

Please get a new disk, put it in the second slot, above the existing drive.
then reboot in single, do a : dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2
bs=8192
shutdown and poweroff  the system and swap the disks around.
boot up and youre system will work !?
this is just a very cheap way, nothing for a system with users, customers
etc... on it !!!
ps.
     this is a x86/intel forum not Sparc !
ds.
//J?rgen