tar, cpio, pax etc.

Post by Chakravarthy KM Nalamo » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello Solaris Users,
I was in a Sys Admin. seminar recently, and the speaker
mentioned that pax is a preferable backup program over tar and
cpio. I don't remember his reasoning.
Could some one let me know what is a preferable backup
program in Solaris 2.5 environment and why?
Also, are there any other good programs apart from the
three I mentioned above.
Thank you for your response.
  Kittu.

tar, cpio, pax etc.

Post by Mario Starga » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Nalamotu) cost the 'net hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to say:

Quote:>Hello Solaris Users,
>I was in a Sys Admin. seminar recently, and the speaker
>mentioned that pax is a preferable backup program over tar and
>cpio. I don't remember his reasoning.
>Could some one let me know what is a preferable backup
>program in Solaris 2.5 environment and why?
>Also, are there any other good programs apart from the
>three I mentioned above.
>Thank you for your response.
>  Kittu.

        If you are backing up _filesystems_, use ufsdump as your
minimum standard.  Use cpio or tar for files.
        I hear amanda is a good free backup tool for filesystems, but
haven't used it.

        Cheers,
                Mario

--
Mario Stargard, Systems Admin   |  "Security for an OPEN World"
Product Development Group       |  Network security solutions for

tar, cpio, pax etc.

Post by Steve Bellen » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello Solaris Users,
>I was in a Sys Admin. seminar recently, and the speaker
>mentioned that pax is a preferable backup program over tar and
>cpio. I don't remember his reasoning.
>Could some one let me know what is a preferable backup
>program in Solaris 2.5 environment and why?
>Also, are there any other good programs apart from the
>three I mentioned above.
>Thank you for your response.
>  Kittu.

Look at the man pages. pax is the `portable archive interchange' and
it has two `formats' cpio and ustar. That is cpio or tar. By default
it has been tar on every platform I have checked (not many).
--

1. History of tar, cpio, pax, dump?

What is the history of those elementary backup tools tar(1), cpio(1),
pax(1), dump(8)?

I've vaguely associated tar with BSD and cpio with System V, but I've
really come too late into the Unix world to still have experienced this
dichotomy first hand. Looking at the V7 manual pages that are floating
around on the web, I've found an entry for tar(1) there but none for
cpio(1). I understand that the name "tar" is derived from "tape
archiver", and "cpio" from "copy in-out".

Regarding pax(1), I seem to recall that this is an invention of the
POSIX committee. Supposedly, they couldn't agree whether to standardize
tar or cpio so a new utility was created. There is no obvious derivation
for the name "pax"--other than the Latin word for "peace", hmm.

The man page of BSD dump(8) states that "a dump command appeared in
Version 6 AT&T UNIX". Interestingly, this implies that dump preceeded
FFS. Again, I always thought dump to be BSDish, but then my experience
with actual pre-SVR4 System V systems is minimal. The V7 man pages don't
include dump/restore.

Any historical facts/trivia appreciated.
--

    carpe librum: books 'n' reviews <URL:http://www.carpe.com/buch/>

2. Solaris 7/8 in Sony VAIO PCG-FX800?

3. pax tar cpio

4. Pretty Printer??

5. GUI for Backup (tar,cpio,etc)

6. Writing a file system for Solaris

7. Automatic Execution of Dump, Backup, Tar, Cpio, etc.

8. Thinkpad 770 with XFree86

9. How to use pax and cpio

10. SVR4 cpio format: has anybody updated pax?

11. Pax archives subdirectories but tar doesn't?????

12. Tar(pax) and include file trouble

13. pax/tar question