link a crontab -> "crontab -e" remove link

link a crontab -> "crontab -e" remove link

Post by WolverineJ » Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:00:19

Hello,

following problem:

Regarding to a failover-scenario, we moved and linked the cron-file for
the user "oracle" from "/var/spool/cron/crontabs", which is situated on
the local drive of the server, to another directory, which is situated
on a SAN-drive.
This works well, but when our oracle-DBA changes the oracle-cron-file
with "crontab -e", the link will be removed and the cron-file is in
/var/spool/cron/crontabs.

Is there any way how I can durable position the oracle-cron-file in a
different directory?

How does commercial cluster-applications handle this problem??

THX!!

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 24 Feb 2006 05:14:23

> Hello,
> following problem:
> Regarding to a failover-scenario, we moved and linked the cron-file for
> the user "oracle" from "/var/spool/cron/crontabs", which is situated on
> the local drive of the server, to another directory, which is situated
> on a SAN-drive.
> This works well, but when our oracle-DBA changes the oracle-cron-file
> with "crontab -e", the link will be removed and the cron-file is in
> /var/spool/cron/crontabs.

Yup.  I've run into that before.

Quote:> Is there any way how I can durable position the oracle-cron-file in a
> different directory?
> How does commercial cluster-applications handle this problem??

Many places I've seen force admins to edit a shared copy, which is then
applied to the local machine periodically.  You can't use 'crontab -e'
in this case.

When the cluster goes up or down, it signals cron on the local machine
and explicitly removes or adds the shared jobs.  That way the OS crontab
jobs can continue to run if it's not the active node.

I wrote a VCS agent once that tried to reconcile all changes assuming
someone did a 'crontab -e' on the active machine.  Just too much work to
keep track of stuff.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/