NOV with C-News losing articles?

Post by b... » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 00:33:46

Hi all,

I've inherited a C-News system which was running on a SPARC Server 690
under SunOS 4.1.3. This system has been upgraded to a SPARC Center 2000
running Solaris 2.3. I suppose it was a bit much to expect that news
would work in binary compatibility mode, and it doesn't. I've mananged
to recompile all of the C-News and I have news flowing in and being
feed out, expire is doing its thing  and all that. The big remaining
problem is that no system on campus can successfully post news articles.
All the articles are discarded with the only trace of what is going
wrong being the fact that local systems show up in the daily report
under the top systems posting news with bad headers. I have not
yet succeeded in getting the nntpd, which is started by inetd, to
recompile. It wants some things to do with the ndir packages. The old
SunOS 4.1.3 nntpd doesn't work particularly well, it gives lots of
errors but it does let people read news. Does anyone have C-News running
on a Solaris 2 system out there who can give me some help? Or anyone
else who might know what to do?

a friendly internet inhabitant.

Bill Rea
--

"Psst!  Hey, Anthony!  Y'know what I        | Disclaimer:  I do not
like about existing?"  "Uh... uh... what?"  | speak for Mentor Graphics.