Solaris 2.5 DiskSuite,CDE,Wabi

Post by Paul Compa » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

To whom it may concern,

I'm running Solaris 2.5 on a SPARCstation 1+ (4/65) w/12MB memory
and 5 scsi disks (all over 1GB).

I'd like to install Solstice DiskSuite 4.0, CDE 1.0.1, and Wabi 2.1
but all of them have requirements:

               MEMORY     DISK
               ======     ====
DiskSuite 4.0  32MB       1GB w/atleast 2 disk drives
CDE 1.0.1      16MB       32MB
Wabi 2.1       32MB       15MB

I have the disk space but not the memory requirements.
If I install these products, will they crash my system;
or will they just run incredibly slow?

Does anyone know where I can find hardware descriptions for
older Sun machines (i.e., SPARCstation 1+ (4/65))?

        Thanks,

        Paul

Post by Himanshu Goh » Sun, 25 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>To whom it may concern,

>I'm running Solaris 2.5 on a SPARCstation 1+ (4/65) w/12MB memory
>and 5 scsi disks (all over 1GB).

If you've got SOlaris 2.5 already installed, why not just try out
CDE anyway?  I can tell you, however, that it will be _S_L_O_W_
We had a SS5 w/16MB memory, that remained unused for the longest time
because no one could stand the slow speed.  We finally upgraded to
48MB and now it's a much better.

Wabi is another memory hog.  They say run it on a machine with lots
of memory, but we run it just OK on a SPARC-LX with 24MB memory.

--

WEB URL: http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/     | things right in your life as
Geometric Modeling & Graphics Research Group | long as you don't do too many

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>If you've got SOlaris 2.5 already installed, why not just try out
>CDE anyway?  I can tell you, however, that it will be _S_L_O_W_
>We had a SS5 w/16MB memory, that remained unused for the longest time
>because no one could stand the slow speed.  We finally upgraded to
>48MB and now it's a much better.

Whoa... from underkill to overkill ;-)
it works fairly well on 32 megs.
But you had NO business running a SS5 with 16 megabytes in the first place.
Ick!