how to disable Solaris accept ISP dynamic hostname ??

how to disable Solaris accept ISP dynamic hostname ??

Post by pcma » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:58:13

Dear all,

I am using Solaris 8(x86) + cable modem online.

Each time, when i bootup my computer and connect to Internet via cable

modem, my ISP will give me a dynamic IP address and dynamic

hostname.

I don't want to accecpt this dynamic hostname.

How to disable Solaris 8 to accept a dynamic hostname from ISP ??

Usually, the dynamic hostname is (ip address).ispname.com

But, i just want to set the hostname to "tony" only.

Please help me.

Thanks and regards,

Tony

how to disable Solaris accept ISP dynamic hostname ??

Post by Vijay K Vishwakarm » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:01:40

I tried several ways but looks like there is no short cut. You may want
to try virtual ip addresses for same interface and use the static ip to
bind with 'tony'

>Dear all,

>I am using Solaris 8(x86) + cable modem online.

>Each time, when i bootup my computer and connect to Internet via cable

>modem, my ISP will give me a dynamic IP address and dynamic

>hostname.

>I don't want to accecpt this dynamic hostname.

>How to disable Solaris 8 to accept a dynamic hostname from ISP ??

>Usually, the dynamic hostname is (ip address).ispname.com

>But, i just want to set the hostname to "tony" only.

>Please help me.

>Thanks and regards,

>Tony

how to disable Solaris accept ISP dynamic hostname ??

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:05:11

Quote:> Dear all,

> I am using Solaris 8(x86) + cable modem online.

> Each time, when i bootup my computer and connect to Internet via cable

> modem, my ISP will give me a dynamic IP address and dynamic

> hostname.

> I don't want to accecpt this dynamic hostname.

> How to disable Solaris 8 to accept a dynamic hostname from ISP ??

Edit /etc/default/dhcpagent, and remove "12" from the
PARAM_REQUEST_LIST.  I.e., change it from

        PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,12,43

        PARAM_REQUEST_LIST=1,3,43

(Yes, I ought to add this info to DHCP on Solaris page:
www.rite-group.com/consulting/solaris_dhcp.html!)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. How to disable Solaris accept dynamic DNS from my ISP?

Dear all,

I am using Cable Modem connect my Solaris to Internet.

Each time, my ISP will assign a dynamic host name and a fix DNS to me.

But, my ISP DNS server often have problem.

I want to change the DNS to another ISP DNS server.

When I change the DNS IP address in /etc/resolv.conf and reboot,

the /etc/resolv.conf will automatic change to my ISP DNS again.

What is the problem??

How to disable Solaris to accept dynamic DNS from my ISP??

Please help me.

2. Advice on network code method for game

3. Get hostname from isp (dynamic IP)?

4. configure cable modem? Check settings please

5. Wanted: Solaris SLIP S/W that accepts a dynamic address from a terminal server

6. X-Server for Diamond Viper V550

7. Solaris fuer ISPs / Solaris for ISPs

8. sending email from a script using nail/mailx - "550 5.7.1 Use fully qualified domain name" error

9. nscd dynamic enable/disable not working in Solaris 8?

10. Xterminals accepts only IP addresses, not hostnames

11. Mod_rewrite and dynamic content based on HTTP:Accept

12. SENDMAIL config problem - ISP won't accept mail

13. Can I disable Accept-Ranges header for .pdf files?