File number limits per directory(Solaris8)

File number limits per directory(Solaris8)

Post by underto » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:15:43

Hi All,
I have a Solaris 8 box, that through ftp, will be getting 1 million
files dumped to a directory(small files 1k).  Disk space is not an
issue, but what is the MAX amount of files a directory can hold?

Thanks for any help!

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:30:34

|I have a Solaris 8 box, that through ftp, will be getting 1 million
|files dumped to a directory(small files 1k).  Disk space is not an
|issue, but what is the MAX amount of files a directory can hold?

There is no maximum limit, other than what the disk has room for,
but once you go past a few thousand, performance gets more and more
painful.

File number limits per directory(Solaris8)

Post by underto » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:42:15

When doing a df -t  i see that 1257580 files/inodes are left
available.   Doesn't that mean that only 1257580 more files can
be added?

Thanks!

Coopersmith):

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:26:30

|When doing a df -t  i see that 1257580 files/inodes are left
|available.   Doesn't that mean that only 1257580 more files can
|be added?

Yes, but that's a filesystem limit, not individual directory.

File number limits per directory(Solaris8)

Post by Paul Watso » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:39:29

What did you create the FS as??  AFAIK there is not limit, just
create the FS with lots and lots of inodes

--
Paul Watson             #
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory

1. Per-process/per-system File Descriptor Limits?

I apologize in advance for my really retarded question; I've
checked the FAQ, looked at the online info, checked out
various options under SMIT, etc. It's also been years and
years since I've touched an AIX box, and now it's suddenly
an issue.

What are the default limits on per-process and system-wide
open file descriptors? How does one change them? The system
that I'm using seems to have about 2K descriptors per process
(which is more than enough), but I don't know if it came that
way out of the box, or if things were somehow tweaked to be
that way.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas Barnes
C2Net

2. 3rd party memory

3. Is there a limit to the number of files in 1 directory?

4. BSD 4.4 make (pmake)

5. Realistic limit on number of files in a directory

6. xntpd for Solaris 2.6

7. "Performance" limit to file numbers in a directory

8. Using vi editor for pl/sql program

9. limit to number of files in a directory?

10. Limit on number of files in a directory ?

11. limit the number of connection to apache per virtual host

12. limit number of used CPUs per user?

13. limit on number of procs per user ???