DNS cannot find hostname with first request

DNS cannot find hostname with first request

Post by Peter Berkhou » Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:14:05

When I try to resolve some hostnames the DNS server doesn't return
an ipadres the first time a request is made (i.e. not cached). After
that the server returns the ipadres immediately.
Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour?

Regards,
Peter Berkhout.

example:

[sunosb03] /etc> nslookup
Default Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
Address:  10.200.8.3

Quote:> www.komkommertijd.nl

Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
Address:  10.200.8.3

*** sunosb1.local.osb can't find www.komkommertijd.nl: Non-existent
host/domain

Quote:> www.komkommertijd.nl

Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
Address:  10.200.8.3

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    komkommertijd.nl
Address:  195.193.116.63
Aliases:  www.komkommertijd.nl

Post by patricksoltan » Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:15:57

> When I try to resolve some hostnames the DNS server doesn't return
> an ipadres the first time a request is made (i.e. not cached). After
> that the server returns the ipadres immediately.
> Does anyone have an explanation for this behaviour?

> Regards,
> Peter Berkhout.

> example:

> [sunosb03] /etc> nslookup
> Default Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
> Address:  10.200.8.3

>>www.komkommertijd.nl

> Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
> Address:  10.200.8.3

> *** sunosb1.local.osb can't find www.komkommertijd.nl: Non-existent
> host/domain

>>www.komkommertijd.nl

> Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
> Address:  10.200.8.3

> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    komkommertijd.nl
> Address:  195.193.116.63
> Aliases:  www.komkommertijd.nl

>>www.komkommertijd.nl

> Server:  sunosb1.local.osb
> Address:  10.200.8.3

> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    komkommertijd.nl
> Address:  195.193.116.63
> Aliases:  www.komkommertijd.nl

Update your "cache or hint" file.
#:~/wget ftp://FTP.RS.INTERNIC.NET/domain/named.root
Also nslookup is broken in more than one way, I'd strongly suggest get a
  copy of "dig" and run the queries again.  Dig is much more accurate on
telling you what's going on.

Also check your resolv.conf file and make sure it has the correct
nameserver(s). Sometimes you have 2 or more "nameserver" entries in the
reolv.conf file and perhaps the first one does not answer and the
resovler will try the second "nameserver" entry,.... hence the effect
you see.

If still you have the problem, then check at your firewall and get a
tcpdump port 53 and that should tell you the whole stroy ;-).

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.

1. hostname (net-2) cannot find hostname.

Hi there!

After Robert Baruch was so kind as to offer me words of advice,
I installed the net-2 stuff under pl10 as he outlined.  Now,
my hostname program cannot find hostname blah

I have a file /etc/HOSTNAME that contains one line with the name
surfcty in it.  I modified the /etc/rc.local file to have
the statement hostname -vS in hopes that it would find the
hostname from the right file.  Now, my prompt says (none) and
if you run hostname by itself, it says (none) as well.

What have I done?

To make matters worse, I haven't a recent backup (my own fault).

Of course, since hostname is not doing it's thing, hostcvt.build
cannot put things together properly.  And since that cannot happen,
I cannot talk to anything else (anymore).

Anyone with words of wisdom are asked (begged) to respond.

Chris

**      Chris D. Johnston               714/289-8543            **
**      Surf City Software              714/289-1002 (fax)      **

**      1095 N. Main Street, M-1, Orange, California 92667      **
**           The Cart Before the Horse?  Preposterous!          **

2. file size of httpd

3. Killing one java runtime daemon, and cannot find which one

4. CDU33A double Speed CD-ROm drive unit

5. sendmail cannot find hostname

6. Has anyone done a low-level format (ufs) with ziptool?

7. Cannot find my hostname

8. Linux native partition vs. Win 95

9. Set up DNS to resolve hostname to hostname:port?

10. root cannot move spool requests from one queue to another

11. My hostname will not set; dip error "must set HOSTNAME first"

12. hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

13. find hostname: hostname or uname -n?