WWW nickname for hostname, please help!

Post by georg.. » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

I've install Apache Web server on my machine.

Instead of my real hostname I want www. prefix to appear, like this:

www.worldbank.org.ge

(in other words, I want to define alias)

Can anyone help me to configure Solaris DNS properly?

Thanks, Temuri

Post by Peter M. O'Donne » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Instead of my real hostname I want www. prefix to appear, like this:
: www.worldbank.org.ge
: (in other words, I want to define alias)
: Can anyone help me to configure Solaris DNS properly?

        wow. i can't believe the the world bank's MIS can't add a cname.
oh well. anyway, you need to define a CNAME in the name database. i am
unsure of where you put it, but there is a line like this, assuming
the real machine name is wahoo and the ip is 11.22.33.44.

wahoo   IN  A 11.22.33.44

        then add a line like this. it will create a canonical name for
wahoo called www.

www     IN  CNAME wahoo

        hope this helps! feel free to emai/post if you need more help.
-peter

Post by Youri Podchoso » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I've install Apache Web server on my machine.

> Instead of my real hostname I want www. prefix to appear, like this:

> www.worldbank.org.ge

> (in other words, I want to define alias)

> Can anyone help me to configure Solaris DNS properly?

> Thanks, Temuri

You have to (ask to) configure authoritative name servers for your zone
(domain worldbank.org.de) to set an alias for your host's canonical
name, which would be

www     IN      CNAME   your-real-hostname

in the zone file for domain 'worldbank.org.de', the one that starts with

| UNIX Systems Administrator   )))   WWW: http://ynp.dialup.access.net |
| The Davidsohn Group, NYC    ///    B:(212)208-0129,  H:(718)234-4140 |

1. HELP PLEASE: Lost Kernel Hostname HELP

system based on RedHat 3.03 much modified.
Linux 2.0.22 kernel
In process of adding NCSA 1.52a HTTP server I have lost my Kernel
hostname. The network still has it. I can use the my new  HTTP server
with my hostname, the prompt shows "none" where the hostname should
be. I added /bin/hostname hfb1.softdisk.com in several places; rc,
rc.inet1 etc with no success. I can add it to the ENV with
HOSTNAME=hfb1.softdisk.com
export HOSTNAME but the kernel never gets it.
 Please help a struggling newbie.
Thanks for reading,
Harold Baird

2. Pentium performance question

3. help!Need to generate passwds and nicknames!

4. PAP problem setting PPP

5. Help installling tnt2 driver rh6.1

6. Star Office and the non-root users.

7. Help: user's nickname on posting

8. Please help me with documentation on www

9. Please Help with Changing Hostname on RedHat 5.1 System

10. Please Help! Problem with WWW Search Engine listings!

11. Changing Hostname as IP: Please help