Restricting user account to console

Post by Steve & Jenny Whit » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We need to restrict a user account so people can "su" to it, or can log in
from the console, but can't rlogin or telnet in as that user.  I know how
to do it for root, but does anyone know an easy way to do it for a normal
user (aside from putting "logout" in the .profile ) :)

Thanks.

Steve White

Post by Arran Pric » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We need to restrict a user account so people can "su" to it, or can log in
> from the console, but can't rlogin or telnet in as that user.  I know how
> to do it for root, but does anyone know an easy way to do it for a normal
> user (aside from putting "logout" in the .profile ) :)

> Thanks.

> Steve White

You could set that user to have no shell I guess which would solve part
of the problem...

Arran
My opinions are my own and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of
my employer.

1. restricting user account to console or su access

I know how to do this for root (ie, /etc/default/login)
But have been unable to figure out how to do it for other users.

Here is my senario:
I have an admin account for my DBAs, oracle, on a Solaris 2.6 system.
I want them to only be able to access this account by telneting to the
system and the su to oracle.  How can I do this?
Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

--
Paul Thele
Sun Unix Group

(316)676-4787

2. install: disk parameters?

3. Restricting login for certain non-root accounts to console

4. identd in /var/log

5. Use WinNT User Accounts on Linux -- Centralize User Accounts

6. DDS2, stinit and device naming scheme

7. restrict a user ftp account

8. Basic (probably) networking question

9. user account with restricted access

10. restricting users with shell accounts

11. restrict a user ftp account

12. Restricted User Account

13. Help: Restrict user accounts from telnet and FTP : Thanks to Steve