DNS vs Hostname

Post by Maurice Hollingswort » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

May I get a quick pointer? What is the common practice with regard to
naming a system -- does one typically use the same DNS name as hostname
for a given host or does one tend to differ these names (and does it
ever matter)?

Thanks,

Maurice Hollingworth

DNS vs Hostname

Post by John Kotche » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> May I get a quick pointer? What is the common practice with regard to
> naming a system -- does one typically use the same DNS name as
> hostname for a given host or does one tend to differ these names
> (and does it ever matter)?

I've seen things go either way.  Of course, if you set up
/etc/nsswitch.conf so that the hosts entry looks like this

hosts:  dns [notfound=return] files

then you're going to look to DNS 1st anyway.

The biggest reason to give the machine a host name equal to its
DNS name is simple, it will help alleviate confusion.

Hope this helps.

--
I've munged my address to help foil those
insiduous spammer-type persons.  Remove the