Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

Post by Jean-Claude Magra » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I am currently running the Spacr 2 with Solaris 2.6 but have the option to
> get a Sparc 10 or Ultra Sparc 10.

> Where do I find out the details of these machines, CPU type and speed memory
> configuration scsi type etc?

I have a sparc 2 (40mhz...Weitek upgrade to 80 in some cases.. SBUS proprietary
slots)
Sparc 10 has proprietary SBUS slots but can take  2 processesors of  various
grades of
CPU(they must be identical) . Both of these designs are roughly 7+ years old.
Both
run SOLARIS  2.6 Both have I believe SCSI 2.  The ultrasparc is a single 300+
mhz (various grades) with standard PCI slots and maybe IDE drives...

Sincerely,

J.C. Magras

Quote:> What do you think?

Post by James Mos » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am currently running the Spacr 2 with Solaris 2.6 but have the option to
get a Sparc 10 or Ultra Sparc 10.

Where do I find out the details of these machines, CPU type and speed memory
configuration scsi type etc?

I realise that the Ultra is going to be the fastest but by how much. Typical
use for the Sparc 2 (64 meg ram) at the monent is file server for 10 users,
accessing 3gig of storage, mail deamon, some dial up ppp routing, and two
Reflection users running some fortran and C data manipulation programs.

What do you think?

Cheers James.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> I am currently running the Spacr 2 with Solaris 2.6 but have the option to
>> get a Sparc 10 or Ultra Sparc 10.

>> Where do I find out the details of these machines, CPU type and speed memory
>> configuration scsi type etc?

>I have a sparc 2 (40mhz...Weitek upgrade to 80 in some cases.. SBUS proprietary
>slots)

                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AFAIK the Sbus is an IEEE standard.

Joerg
--

Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> AFAIK the Sbus is an IEEE standard.

J?rg is correct.

--
Rich Teer

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Risc Key Developments Ltd
Voice: +44 (0)1256 330612
WWW: www.rkdltd.demon.co.uk

Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

Post by Joel F. Risin » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

James,

Depending on the chip you get, the SPARC 10 will be 2-3 times faster than
the SPARC 2.  The Ultra 10 will be more than 10 times faster.  That's
based on SpecINT and SpecFP.

As far as what memory and disk are on board, that's gonna be up to you and
your vendor, so you need to call them and get quotes.  I would guess the
way Sun has things priced that you probably can't get a 10 for a whole
cheaper than an Ultra.

1. Sparc 10 vs. P3 800MHz - Web Server (and Sparc 10 value)

I asked a question about performance between these beasts before,
thanks for the answers.  This time I'm interested in the Sparc 10 as a
web server.  In terms of traffic (because I'm bound to get thousands of
hits daily in no time), is the Pentium III still the better way to go,
or does the Sparc 10 handle traffic better?

And on a side note, I decided to check ebay to see if $25 for a Sparc
10 is a good deal.  It almost seems like it's not, even after checking
completed auctions on both the Sparc 10 and then just on Sparc Ultra
(title and description).  I know it's old, but is a machine in good
condition with a monitor, tape drive, cdrom, and Solaris version
something disks worth $25?  I know it has at least internal drives, but
he's not sure how big, and he's not sure how much memory it has ("boxed
for years").

Thanks again.
Hector

2. setenv in bash

3. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

4. Fragmented paging space..

5. SPARC 5 vs. SPARC 10 as web server

6. HOWTO execute a script on incoming mail?

7. How does a SPARC IPX differ from a SPARC 5,10,etc.?

8. Anyone use a Yamaha CDR-400T?

9. Upgrade SPARC-2 --> SPARC-10

10. How to use Exabyte 8205 with SPARC Classic, SPARC 10??

11. Sparc-1 frame buffer in Sparc-10?

12. Does the IOMEGA JAZ drive work with SPARC-4, SPARC-10 running , solaris?

13. Sparc-1 frame buffer in Sparc-10?