Gnome 2.0 and dragging windows

Post by Paul Gres » Thu, 01 May 2003 10:43:26

Does anybody know how to change the behavior of how when I click and
drag a window?  The window stays opaque and flickers as I move it, very
annoying.  It becomes worse as the windows get bigger.  What I would
like is to turn the opaque feature off and just use a see through
square.  This consumes much less resources.

Maybe another solution would be to use OpenGL, but Sun has to do this.

Thanks for any solutions,

Paul

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-1740/6mhev3br2?a=view#performance-7

Post by Paul Gres » Thu, 01 May 2003 11:14:28

> |Does anybody know how to change the behavior of how when I click and
> |drag a window?  The window stays opaque and flickers as I move it, very
> |annoying.  It becomes worse as the windows get bigger.  What I would
> |like is to turn the opaque feature off and just use a see through
> |square.  This consumes much less resources.

> http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-1740/6mhev3br2?a=view#performance-7

Thanks

Gnome 2.0 and dragging windows

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Thu, 01 May 2003 21:27:15

Quote:> Does anybody know how to change the behavior of how when I click and
> drag a window?  The window stays opaque and flickers as I move it, very
> annoying.  It becomes worse as the windows get bigger.  What I would
> like is to turn the opaque feature off and just use a see through
> square.  This consumes much less resources.

> Maybe another solution would be to use OpenGL, but Sun has to do this.

> Thanks for any solutions,

If you mean top-level windows handled by the CDE window manager, under
the style manager window options, make sure "Show Contents During Move"
is _not_ checked.

--

1. Gnome 2.0 FCS metacity wireframe resize/drag

I found this in the docs for Gnome:

-----

To Reduce CPU Usage by Turning On Wireframe Mode

The Metacity window manager has a wireframe mode for when you move and
resize windows. When wireframe mode is turned on, only the outline of
windows is displayed when you move and resize windows. The contents of
the window do not need to be updated during the move or resize. The
contents of the window are displayed when the move or resize is
complete.

To turn on wireframe mode, run the following command:

# gconftool-2 --type bool --set
/apps/metacity/general/wireframe_move_resize true

-----

The problem is, it doesn't work. I logged out/in, and even rebooted
the
workstation, but I still get opaque move/resize.

It did update ~/.gconf/apps/metacity/general/%gconf.xml with the
appropriate
stuff. But it doesn't work.

Ideas?

Griff

2. LINKSYS LNE100TX setup, PLEASE help

3. RH 7.1 Gnome windows drag pb, sleepless nights

4. /usr/ports/lang/cli fails to compile

5. Slow window drags - ( X server, video card, window manager, resolution/color depth)

6. How to reply a uucp mail?

7. Gnome 2.0, Gnome 1.x compatibility?

8. KPPPLogView - where is total cost?

9. GNOME settings daemon failing - GNOME 2.0 + Solaris 9

10. missing truetype fonts in Gnome 2.0 but not Gnome 1.4

11. Solaris Gnome 2.0 & Linux Gnome configuration files clash...

12. ANNOUNCE: LLNL XDIR 2.0, a drag-and-drop FTP client

13. Drag and drop gnome question.