Help: Serial port problem-cannot access server

Help: Serial port problem-cannot access server

Post by Juraj Markoti » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 18:58:36

I have Sun Fire V120. It has 2 serial ports. Port A is also LOM (Lights Out
MAnagement) port.
When I connect server's port A to a laptop with terminal program all I get
is messages that server prints during boot/shutdown but I cannot type
anything. It' just like RX works, and TX doesn't ?
I tried with many console cables: Sun's original console that's converted
from 25-pin to a 9-pin console suitable for laptop serial port. I also tried
Cisco's original console cable. Same thing every time.
I also tried many terminal programs (SecureCRT, Minicom, Hyperterminal etc).
They were set: 9600 8N1, "no flow controle" or "Xon/Xoff".
Serial port B doesn't seem to be configured because I cannot see anything on
it (not even boot messages when server is rebooted).
So right now, I cannot access server because telnet doesn't accept root
login and root is only real user defined on system.
Has anybody seen this kind of faulty serial  port ?
What can I do ?

thanks,
Jura

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:59:49

> I have Sun Fire V120. It has 2 serial ports. Port A is also LOM (Lights Out
> MAnagement) port.
> When I connect server's port A to a laptop with terminal program all I get
> is messages that server prints during boot/shutdown but I cannot type
> anything. It' just like RX works, and TX doesn't ?
> I tried with many console cables: Sun's original console that's converted
> from 25-pin to a 9-pin console suitable for laptop serial port. I also tried
> Cisco's original console cable. Same thing every time.
> I also tried many terminal programs (SecureCRT, Minicom, Hyperterminal etc).
> They were set: 9600 8N1, "no flow controle" or "Xon/Xoff".

Maybe the serial port itself is bad.  Very rare, but I've seen it maybe
twice in 10 years...

Quote:> Serial port B doesn't seem to be configured because I cannot see anything on
> it (not even boot messages when server is rebooted).

Right.  You'd have some choices if you wanted to use it.

You could probably direct the console there by setting input-device and
output-device to ttyb.  I've never tried that on a V120, but it should
work.  You wouldn't have LOM support though.

An alternative is to leave the console alone and just enable a terminal
on serial port B.  You can use admintool, or check the serial port
references at http://www.stokely.com

Quote:> So right now, I cannot access server because telnet doesn't accept root
> login and root is only real user defined on system.
> Has anybody seen this kind of faulty serial  port ?
> What can I do ?

Unless you can get to a console (a *working* console) or some sort of
login, you're hosed.  Is the box under warranty?  Can you call sun if
you're certain that your cables are correct?

I assume your laptop works properly with other devices?  Can you test it
working on another V120?

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:31:32

>I have Sun Fire V120. It has 2 serial ports. Port A is also LOM (Lights Out
>MAnagement) port.
>When I connect server's port A to a laptop with terminal program all I get
>is messages that server prints during boot/shutdown but I cannot type
>anything. It' just like RX works, and TX doesn't ?

Telnet into the machine through the network interface and see if
the /usr/lib/saf/sac and /usr/lib/saf/ttymon daemons are running.

If they are not running, the machine has probably not completed
all the boot scripts in /etc/rc2.d or /etc/rc3.d, so init has not
started ttymon on the console.  When no ttymon is running on the
console, it will look just like the thing you describe.  Messages
are printed out of the console port, but nothing prompts you to
log in (and nothing echoes your keystrokes).

Use ps to see if the /sbin/rc2 or /sbin/rc3 script is still running.
If so, get the numeric process id for the script and type the command:

  /usr/proc/bin/ptree  9999

(replace "9999" with the process id that ps showed you)  Ptree will
show you the parent process and child processes for the script, and
the child processes will guide you toward the cause of the problem.

If ttymon and sac are running, your port might have a hardware
problem.  Test this by switching the console to the B port:

  eeprom   input-device  ttyb
  eeprom  output-device  ttyb

and reboot:

  /usr/sbin/init  6

Then connect your console cable to the V120's B port and see if
you still have trouble.  If you don't have trouble on the B port
but you have trouble on the A/LOM port, then it's a hardware problem.
If you have trouble on both ports, then make sure your laptop really
is transmitting your keystrokes out through its serial port.
Sometimes Hyperterm and other programs seem to just fail to transmit
even when they ought to work fine.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Help: Serial port problem-cannot access server

Post by Juraj Markoti » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 19:09:04

Quote:> Maybe the serial port itself is bad.  Very rare, but I've seen it maybe
> twice in 10 years...

Well I suspect also that serial port is bad but I wanted some assurance.

Quote:

> > Serial port B doesn't seem to be configured because I cannot see
anything on
> > it (not even boot messages when server is rebooted).

> Right.  You'd have some choices if you wanted to use it.

> You could probably direct the console there by setting input-device and
> output-device to ttyb.  I've never tried that on a V120, but it should
> work.  You wouldn't have LOM support though.

> An alternative is to leave the console alone and just enable a terminal
> on serial port B.  You can use admintool, or check the serial port
> references at http://www.stokely.com

If I could only telnet to a machine ... :-)

Quote:

> > So right now, I cannot access server because telnet doesn't accept root
> > login and root is only real user defined on system.
> > Has anybody seen this kind of faulty serial  port ?
> > What can I do ?

> Unless you can get to a console (a *working* console) or some sort of
> login, you're hosed.  Is the box under warranty?  Can you call sun if
> you're certain that your cables are correct?

In fact, server is under warranty, brand new, and I'm going to call support.
What bugged me a bit, is that when they brought machine to our campus it
worked just fine for them. Machine was configured using console A port. God
knows what happened after that.

Quote:

> I assume your laptop works properly with other devices?  Can you test it
> working on another V120?

Laptop works just fine. I can manage all other console enabled equipment
(Cisco eq), and also tried it with Sun Ultra.

thanks for helping me
cheers
Jura

> --

> Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

Help: Serial port problem-cannot access server

Post by Juraj Markoti » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 19:13:42

If only I could telnet to a machine. Only root user is defined and telnet
doesn's allow (by default) root to access machine with telnet.
I guess I'll have to call a support.
Regarding your opinion about ttymon not running ... when server is rebooted
I do get prompt to log in ("hostname login:"), only it doesn't accept
anything I try to type (one way working console, TX works fine, RX doesn't).

thanks anyway,
Jura

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 05:09:28

> If only I could telnet to a machine. Only root user is defined and telnet
> doesn's allow (by default) root to access machine with telnet.
> I guess I'll have to call a support.

Depending on your OS, you might be able to ftp as root.  If so, push
over a new /etc/default/login and you can let root log in.

1. Cannot access port of my own server process

Hello

I have written a simple concurrent server that listens on port 23456 (or
any other).
My client conntects properly (Redhat 7.0 and Solaris 8)  and on Solaris
I can
access the server via http://daedalus:23456. Even telnet localhost 23456

works. But on Linux... Nada... I want implement remote administration of

my server via web browser.
/etc/services is set and I played with xinetd. I just can access that
port.

Any ideas how to activate that port ???

Thank you

Daniel Faessler

2. Problems with custom kernel and AIC7890 controller

3. Java server to access to serial port?

4. 3COM 3c574 problems

5. PC serial Port Access NEED HELP!!

6. bkbits.net down

7. Help: access denied to device ttyS1(serial port COM1) in SusE Linux 6.3

8. Mountd (or other HW?) fatal error ?!?!?!

9. HELP, cannot access Netscape Fasttrack server, need password.

10. Serial Port Access Problem

11. Very bizarre vsftp server problem, PCs behind gateway cannot access it

12. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510

13. Serial port to serial port copying software