Sparc/Solaris headers and libraries for building cross-compiler on Linux

Sparc/Solaris headers and libraries for building cross-compiler on Linux

Post by John Gre » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:47:13

Subject almost says it all. I want to build a cross-compiler on a
Linux machine for sending my application to people who have requested
it for Sparc/Solaris 8.

I could download the Sparc/Solaris 8 installation CDs from Sun's
download site, but then, I don't think it's possible to extract the
files out of the packages from Windows or Linux, is it? There doesn't
seem to be any pkgadd available for Linux.

I don't think that Sun has anything against people using their headers
and libraries to port applications to Solaris, especially since the
entire OS is available for download, so I don't think there's any
reason that the headers and libraries aren't availabe for download
somewhere. Is there? If they are available for download from Sun, I
sure couldn't find them. Any pointers?

Thanks,
John

Sparc/Solaris headers and libraries for building cross-compiler on Linux

Post by ger.. » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:00:02

Quote:> Subject almost says it all. I want to build a cross-compiler on a
> Linux machine for sending my application to people who have requested
> it for Sparc/Solaris 8.

It would be MUCH simpler to either gain access to a SPARC box or
purchase one used and install Solaris 8 if you want to support
Solaris. You can get an Ultra 200E for next to 0 dollars nowadays.

I have built a gcc cross compiler and it actually worked but UGH.
Last resort solution.

Post by John Gre » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:28:33

> It would be MUCH simpler to either gain access to a SPARC box or
> purchase one used and install Solaris 8 if you want to support
> Solaris. You can get an Ultra 200E for next to 0 dollars nowadays.

> I have built a gcc cross compiler and it actually worked but UGH.
> Last resort solution.

I agree, building a cross compiler is a PITA. It would be really nice
though if I could build the binaries locally here, and then scp those
to a Sparc machine for regression testing. So, I'm still looking for
headers and libraries. :-)

I wish it were practical for me to pick up a Sparc machine for this,
but it's not for a bunch of reasons... including the fact that I'm
being asked for ports to several platforms and my application is a
rather small, inexpensive one. I don't want to nail Sparc users in the
pocketbook just because they are Sparc users.

How do I find shell account access to a SPARC/Solaris machine for
purposes of compiling and testing my application?

For  Tru64, I found Compaq's "Test Drive" site, which provides free
shell accounts to various platforms with access to compilers  great!
I don't need free, but but I'm only talking about minimal cycles and
occasional meagre disk space requirements.

I've searched the web, and been able to find precious few options for
Solaris. I haven't started looking for IBM options yet,  but I know
that will be one of the next ones I'm asked for. I would have thought
that this was a more common need!

I've only found the following two options so far: www.iprotection.com,
and www.jtan.com. Doesn't Sun provide access to their  machines for
purposes of porting applications to their platforms? Isn't there
anybody out there with a SourceForge style  compiler farm, but
available for small commercial software packages like mine?

John