how to manually create entry in /devices

how to manually create entry in /devices

Post by phamst.. » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to add a CD-Writer on a sun's box (model E450) running
Solaris 2.6.  probe-scsi-all sees the device but there's no physical
name created under /devices.  I am thinking of manually creating one
and don't know how.  Any help I can get in how I can create an entry
for a device in /devices is really appreciated.

Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Phil Edward » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to add a CD-Writer on a sun's box (model E450) running
> Solaris 2.6.  probe-scsi-all sees the device but there's no physical
> name created under /devices.  I am thinking of manually creating one
> and don't know how.  Any help I can get in how I can create an entry
> for a device in /devices is really appreciated.

"You" don't.  :-)  When do you a reconfigure-boot by "boot -r" from
firmware, the kernel will create entries for all the hardware that it
sees.  Entries in /devices and /dev should appear after that.

You can force a reconfigure by creating a file under / with a special
name (e.g., with touch(1)) and then the next reboot will pick it up,
but for the life of me I can't remember the name.  Something like
"/RECONFIGURE" or "/CONFIGURE" or "/JANEANE_GAROFALO_WAS_HILARIOUS_
IN_MYSTERY_MEN", er, something.

--

Targeting & Attack Radar                                  UFOs are real.
Air Force Research Labs                                   The Air Force

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

how to manually create entry in /devices

Post by Frank Braue » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Steve,

normally, init 0 and boot -r should review your hardware and make the
CD-Writer available. You can create devices with mknod (see manual page for
details) but then you must no all about major and minor device numbers,
block or character device etc. So I think the first way is what you need to
do.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Quote:>I am trying to add a CD-Writer on a sun's box (model E450) running
>Solaris 2.6.  probe-scsi-all sees the device but there's no physical
>name created under /devices.  I am thinking of manually creating one
>and don't know how.  Any help I can get in how I can create an entry
>for a device in /devices is really appreciated.

how to manually create entry in /devices

Post by Pete Howel » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You can't just manually create an entry in /devices.  There needs to be a
node for the device in the Kernel at boot-time, and if one existed, then
there would already be an entry created in /devices by "drvconfig".

My guess is that the drive is being recognized.  Have you tried running
"disks"?

Regards,

Pete Howell

>I am trying to add a CD-Writer on a sun's box (model E450) running
>Solaris 2.6.  probe-scsi-all sees the device but there's no physical
>name created under /devices.  I am thinking of manually creating one
>and don't know how.  Any help I can get in how I can create an entry
>for a device in /devices is really appreciated.

>Steve

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

how to manually create entry in /devices

Post by Pete Howel » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

This assumes that a node has already been created for it in the Kernel -- in
which case, "drvconfig" would have already created an entry under /devices.

Pete Howell

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to add a CD-Writer on a sun's box (model E450) running
>Solaris 2.6.  probe-scsi-all sees the device but there's no physical
>name created under /devices.  I am thinking of manually creating one
>and don't know how.  Any help I can get in how I can create an entry
>for a device in /devices is really appreciated.

Devices are created by virtue of a driver in the system
noticing a device it can drive. You can do this with a
reconfiguration boot:

     touch /reconfigure && sync && reboot

or by running the following whilst system is running:

     sync; /usr/sbin/drvconfig; /usr/sbin/disks

If no driver notices the device and is prepared to drive
it, no amount of creating device entries by hand will
make it work.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. Manually create Sunray temporary sound devices

Hello

I cannot ssh to a Sunray server, start xmms and listen to music. This is
because xmms cannot connect to the temporary sound device. This is not
created because I am not locally logged in.

When dtlogin logs me in on the Sunray server something create those
temorary sound devices. What is it that create those devices and how can
I create those manually when I want to ssh to the Sunray server and use
xmms?

Regards,
- Morten Green Hermansen, Fanitas

2. Need help with install of Solaris x86 2.1

3. Manually create a resuce disk

4. kfm problem

5. Manually Create HTPASSWD File ?

6. Newbie: KDE failed dependencies

7. VxVM Storage Foundation 4.0 (manually creating rootdg??)

8. termcap.h missing

9. manually creating a user when using /etc/shadow

10. create user manually

11. creating a tar archive manually (from a C program)

12. Creating new devices in /devices

13. too many entries too many entries too mant entries in the KDE menu