How to change NIS+ root master IP address?

How to change NIS+ root master IP address?

Post by Randy Jon » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Since our ISP is changing their service provider we are getting
new ip addresses. I am running Solaris 2.6 and nis+ here. The nis+
has only one domain, the root domain, with a root master and (2)
replicas. According to the only faq I can locate:
http://wugate.wustl.edu/~rachelle/nis+faq2.html you have to basically
rebuild your nis+ master server to change its IP address.

Does anybody have any other suggestions as to a better way of doing this?

Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
PO Box 245
108 W 2nd
Assaria, KS USA 67416

Phone: 785-667-7763 x3440
  Fax: 785-667-2695

Try: "http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/rayh/solaris/NIS+_FAQ.html"

How to change NIS+ root master IP address?

Post by Ron Dille » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Randy,

Create a replica with the new addr, promote it to be the master and
decom the master.  reconfig the old master, make it a replica, and then
promote it to master and decom the temp master.  You will want to make
sure all the clients have an updated NIS_COLD_START file.

Ron

> Since our ISP is changing their service provider we are getting
> new ip addresses. I am running Solaris 2.6 and nis+ here. The nis+
> has only one domain, the root domain, with a root master and (2)
> replicas. According to the only faq I can locate:
> http://wugate.wustl.edu/~rachelle/nis+faq2.html you have to basically
> rebuild your nis+ master server to change its IP address.

> Does anybody have any other suggestions as to a better way of doing this?

> Randy Jones
> Systems Administrator
> Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
> PO Box 245
> 108 W 2nd
> Assaria, KS USA 67416

> Phone: 785-667-7763 x3440
>   Fax: 785-667-2695

|   Ron Dilley          Sr. UNIX Network Administrator   |

Post by Robert Kingsbury II » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Since our ISP is changing their service provider we are getting
> new ip addresses. I am running Solaris 2.6 and nis+ here. The nis+
> has only one domain, the root domain, with a root master and (2)
> replicas. According to the only faq I can locate:
> http://wugate.wustl.edu/~rachelle/nis+faq2.html you have to basically
> rebuild your nis+ master server to change its IP address.

> Does anybody have any other suggestions as to a better way of doing this?

I am going to be facing the same problem soon but I think I may have
found something that might work or not (I haven't examined the man page
or anything else yet). On page 318 of Rick Ramsey's book "All about
administering NIS+", I found a reference to changing IP addresses on
servers:

        To update the IP addresses of one or more servers, use the -a option.

                nisupdkeys -a <directory>
                nisupdkeys -a -H <server-name>

Hopefully, this will let you keep the master server without having to
rebuild it from scratch. I had to do that once when our subnet was
changed - I did not enjoy that particular experience.

        Incidently, the book I mentioned is the exact same thing that can be
found by poking around in docs.sun.com

-Rob

----
Robert Kingsbury III
Clemson University Genomics Institute
Systems Administrator

How to change NIS+ root master IP address?

Post by Sean Walbe » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The instructions there and in the FAQ work, but don't forget about the
12 hr wait period in between a few of the steps.  It is a good idea to
change the TTL on the tables before doing this, otherwise all your
clients will not work.

I ignored those parts of the instructions and wound up doing
sys-unconfigs on about a dozen workstations.  However, if you're
changing your address space around like I did, it had to be done
anyway.

Sean

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:03:23 -0500, Robert Kingsbury III

>> Since our ISP is changing their service provider we are getting
>> new ip addresses. I am running Solaris 2.6 and nis+ here. The nis+
>> has only one domain, the root domain, with a root master and (2)
>> replicas. According to the only faq I can locate:
>> http://wugate.wustl.edu/~rachelle/nis+faq2.html you have to basically
>> rebuild your nis+ master server to change its IP address.

>> Does anybody have any other suggestions as to a better way of doing this?

>I am going to be facing the same problem soon but I think I may have
>found something that might work or not (I haven't examined the man page
>or anything else yet). On page 318 of Rick Ramsey's book "All about
>administering NIS+", I found a reference to changing IP addresses on
>servers:

>    To update the IP addresses of one or more servers, use the -a option.

>            nisupdkeys -a <directory>
>            nisupdkeys -a -H <server-name>

>Hopefully, this will let you keep the master server without having to
>rebuild it from scratch. I had to do that once when our subnet was
>changed - I did not enjoy that particular experience.

>    Incidently, the book I mentioned is the exact same thing that can be
>found by poking around in docs.sun.com

>-Rob

>----
>Robert Kingsbury III
>Clemson University Genomics Institute
>Systems Administrator

1. Changing IP address of NIS+ Root Master.

..
        Is it possible to change the IP address of the NIS+ master server without
corrupting the NIS+ tables? If not, then is this because of DES encryption? So
if I disable DES encryption whould this no longer be a problem? Any and all
help is appreciated... Thank You!

                        Amr Hambazaza

2. Testing newsgroup

3. How to change IP address/hostname of NIS+ root master server?

4. TVGA9000: VGA16 question

5. NIS+ Master - Change IP Address problems

6. AIE radeon and 3.3 to 4.0.2 upgrade problems.

7. How to change IP address on NIS+ master server?

8. Where to find the kernel support BusLogic FlashPoint LT (BT-930)

9. changing IP address of NIS+ Master and Replica

10. Changing IP-adrress om NIS+ root master server

11. changing NIS+ root master root password

12. Changing IP address of NIS+ root server

13. Changing the root master's credential (NIS+)