Add a new user that cannot access any other directory than home dir

Add a new user that cannot access any other directory than home dir

Post by Mlilli » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:45:42

Hello. I would like to add a new user to our UNIX box that only has the
ability to see their own "home" directory. How do I tell the system not to
let this user see any other directories.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Add a new user that cannot access any other directory than home dir

Post by William Ray Milliro » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 23:15:12

On solaris 2.6 you can set up the user to use rksh (restricted shell).  This
will only let them login into their home directory and (I think) disables
"cd".  The problem is that
they probably will not be able to do much.  In order to give them access to
system commands such as "ls" you have to create a /usr/rbin and, I think, a
/rbin directory on
each machine the person might log into and create links to the commands that
you wamt
them to have access to.  You will probably find that you will have to give
them access to enough commands that the restrictions of rksh can be worked
around by the user.

One other note.  Even though "cd" is not allowed, a user can access files
outside of the
home directory if they know the absolute path and filename.

> Hello. I would like to add a new user to our UNIX box that only has the
> ability to see their own "home" directory. How do I tell the system not to
> let this user see any other directories.

> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

1. HELP+URGENT: cannot access my home dir after a crash (job-working-directory error

Hello

something weird is happening to me: After a crash, i rebooted the
system, and since i cannot do anything (rm, mv, cp, touch) on my *home
directory*. I remember this homedir was the directory on which i was
"working" when the crash happened.
the file-system was nfs mounted.

by chance, i wasn't root while it happenned !

Any linux ace who could help me to fix this terrible bug?

Help, and if possible soon, since i m very blocked by this thing. (my
wok, datas are in this directory)

Leo

2. SolarNet

3. add users with admintool-- cannot create home dir?

4. New user, VNC and Samba

5. adding new user with SMC won't create home dir

6. Windoze emulator for Linux???

7. cannot add users to home directory, Solaris 8 intel

8. cc/make problems

9. after changing a user's home dir, cd ~user in ksh still use old dir

10. umask on directories and perms on new created home dirs

11. PROFTPD: Some users cannot upload files, some users cannot get directory listing

12. Security...restricting user-access to home-dir + links

13. Users access to CGI from their HOME dir.?