RW-Optical with vold?

Post by Karl A. Anderso » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Gurus,

I've just set up an Ultra1/170 with a Pinnacle 4.2GB Read-Write Optical
drive. When I insert an optical disk, Solaris treats it like a hard
disk. I can see the partition table with format and prtvtoc, make a UFS
filesystem on a partition with newfs, and mount the filesystem as a UFS
file. I know how to do these things, because I'm the SysAdmin.

The users don't know how to do these things. What they'd like is to be
able to insert a formatted, newfs'ed disk and have it mounted
automatically, then be able to eject it when they're done. Just like a
diskette or CD.  Unfortunately, it seems that vold(1M) only handles
diskettes and CDs.  Can it be made to support RW-Optical?
--
Karl A. Anderson
Unix System Administrator

1. Vold settings for Magneto Optical

I'm looking for the vold settings for use with a magneto optical drive with
Solaris 2.5.1 .  We origionaly bought this drive when we were running OS/2
(I know, I know, I didn't work here then), and have since switched OS's,
and I figured since nobody was using it, I'd appropriate it...

Anyway, I figured that it would be a nice place to do backups, etc since it
holds a gig of data.  What I need is some vold settings that will let me
eject it(un mount it), etc

Thanks

Shawn

2. fvwm 2.0.46 FvwmTaskBar

3. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

4. Kernel Build Problem (dependencies)

5. A SIMPLE SHELL PROGRAM CHANGE /etc/passwd mode to -rw-rw-rw-

6. Tacacsd for Solaris2.3?

7. File permission set to -rw-rw-rw-?by Apache/CGI?

8. state of the *nix job market

9. flexlm on HPs requires rw-rw-rw- on /dev/lan0

10. Summary: ftpd from SunOS 4.1.3 creates files with rw-rw-rw

11. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

12. vi (Re: =-> Is /tmp: -rw-rw-rw- root system" a risc?)

13. ftpd from SunOS 4.1.3 creates files with rw-rw-rw