UNIX solution vs. NT solution for multi-user internet support?

UNIX solution vs. NT solution for multi-user internet support?

Post by US West New » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:31:37



We are researching which route to take for our enterprise system that is
only a few weeks away from design integration.  Granted the mechanism we
have come up with will work on both WIN2K and UNIX platforms, we need to
make a decision as to which OS is better equipped to give us what we need,
as well as what kind of costs are involved for hardware support.

Right now, we need to support 5,000-10,000 simultaneous connections for each
'source' (and there are multiple 'sources'), and hook them all to a single
database.  I can't give any more specific information than that, but we need
to find out if Win2K is a better solution for this general mechanism than a
UNIX/BSD/SOLARIS solution.

Does anyone have any samples or URLs that they could point me to that show
UNIX vs. NT for large scale multi-user support systems?  Anyone here
specialize in that sort of thing? (if so, I'll be happy to talk with you
more in private)

As mentioned above, the other important aspect is the required hardware.
How does a Proliant 7500 running Win2K compare to a duel or quad-processor
SUN box running the same 'system' on SOLARIS 8?  What are the hardware cost
differences?  Support?

If you could respond in this thread I'd appreciate it -- I don't have my
real EMail posted here since I'm not a fan of spam mail from newsgroup
browsers.

Any information on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

 
 
 

UNIX solution vs. NT solution for multi-user internet support?

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 05:11:11


This is a question always asked by system admins.

Although Windows 2000 (not NT) has improved a lot, UNIX based or UNIX-like based
systems seems to run better internet/intranet connections, or when serving
multiple hits on a network.

Running UNIX or UNIX-like OS (BSD, FreeBSD, Linux) on cheap Intel machines might
be a solution for your needs. This will definitely lower your hardware costs.
Don't try to run Solaris in an Intel machine as Solaris runs more efficiently
under its native Hardware.

Check this web site out to determine which site is running what:

    http://www.netcraft.com/whats/

Do a search on NT vs UNIX on the web and this will result in hundreds of hits.

Ed


> We are researching which route to take for our enterprise system that is
> only a few weeks away from design integration.  Granted the mechanism we
> have come up with will work on both WIN2K and UNIX platforms, we need to
> make a decision as to which OS is better equipped to give us what we need,
> as well as what kind of costs are involved for hardware support.


 
 
 

UNIX solution vs. NT solution for multi-user internet support?

Post by Dave » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 06:10:23


Ed, thanks much for the response.  That netcraft site is pretty cool -
answers many questions!

In addition to general usage, I'm looking for bandwidth throughput and
support mechanism information.  A big question is what 3rd party tools are
out there that handle 5,000-10,000 connections on a UNIX platform - and are
designed to regulate the connections (like RTime for UNIX).

Thanks!



> This is a question always asked by system admins.

> Although Windows 2000 (not NT) has improved a lot, UNIX based or UNIX-like
based
> systems seems to run better internet/intranet connections, or when serving
> multiple hits on a network.

> Running UNIX or UNIX-like OS (BSD, FreeBSD, Linux) on cheap Intel machines
might
> be a solution for your needs. This will definitely lower your hardware
costs.
> Don't try to run Solaris in an Intel machine as Solaris runs more
efficiently
> under its native Hardware.

> Check this web site out to determine which site is running what:

>     http://www.netcraft.com/whats/

> Do a search on NT vs UNIX on the web and this will result in hundreds of
hits.

> Ed


> > We are researching which route to take for our enterprise system that is
> > only a few weeks away from design integration.  Granted the mechanism we
> > have come up with will work on both WIN2K and UNIX platforms, we need to
> > make a decision as to which OS is better equipped to give us what we
need,
> > as well as what kind of costs are involved for hardware support.

 
 
 

UNIX solution vs. NT solution for multi-user internet support?

Post by Philip Ch » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:47:42



>As mentioned above, the other important aspect is the required hardware.
>How does a Proliant 7500 running Win2K compare to a duel or quad-processor
>SUN box running the same 'system' on SOLARIS 8?  What are the hardware cost
>differences?  Support?

If you are looking at hardware you should compare apples with apples.  Id
est: Win2K running on a Proliant 7500 vs. Solaris 8 running on the same
hardware (Proliant 7500).

So your hardware cost differences are basically NIL.  And given that
Solaris 8 is USD 75 for unlimited users (and possibly servers) you could
use the savings in not buying Win2K licences to buy more hardware (Memory,
disk).

Philip

---=====================================================================---
 Philip Chee:  Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA

   Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
                  oh Night, and so be good for us to pass.
... Nothing in policy implies that Godhood is a SysOp requirement!
--
 * 20320.37 *