Solaris/X86 complains on every boot-up about window manager not being setup - how to fix?

Solaris/X86 complains on every boot-up about window manager not being setup - how to fix?

Post by Kenny McCorma » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I installed X86 on a Pentium machine - everything went well in the install
(I don't remember any weird, unexplained error messages popping up).

Yet, every time I boot it, I get a msg that the window manager isn't setup
right (Enter the root password, etc, etc).  I skip by this prompt and
everything works fine after that.

What to do to make it not do this?  (Note that it is just an annoyance and
only happens when booting; after that everything works fine)

Solaris/X86 complains on every boot-up about window manager not being setup - how to fix?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I installed X86 on a Pentium machine - everything went well in the install
>(I don't remember any weird, unexplained error messages popping up).
>Yet, every time I boot it, I get a msg that the window manager isn't setup
>right (Enter the root password, etc, etc).  I skip by this prompt and
>everything works fine after that.
>What to do to make it not do this?  (Note that it is just an annoyance and
>only happens when booting; after that everything works fine)

You need to run kdmconfig to reconfigure the system's
idea of your graphics hardwrae.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris/X86 complains on every boot-up about window manager not being setup - how to fix?

Post by Peter C. Tribb » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I installed X86 on a Pentium machine - everything went well in the install
> (I don't remember any weird, unexplained error messages popping up).

> Yet, every time I boot it, I get a msg that the window manager isn't setup
> right (Enter the root password, etc, etc).  I skip by this prompt and
> everything works fine after that.

> What to do to make it not do this?  (Note that it is just an annoyance and
> only happens when booting; after that everything works fine)

Go into the setup when it asks (is it the first or second time through?
- may have to do this twice - I'm sure I don't always get the right
prompt), and one of the things you're presented with is the option to
hit F5 and it won't bother you again.

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

Solaris/X86 complains on every boot-up about window manager not being setup - how to fix?

Post by Kenny McCorma » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>>What to do to make it not do this?  (Note that it is just an annoyance and
>>only happens when booting; after that everything works fine)

>You need to run kdmconfig to reconfigure the system's
>idea of your graphics hardwrae.

Pretty sure I did that at least twice - once during the initial install (it
said it was running kdmconfig) and then again the first time I booted after
the install had finished.  Subsequent boots, I "cheated" by hitting ^D.

Seems like somehow the first two times, it didn't "stick", so I just gave up.
I guess I'll try one more time and try the "F5 trick".

1. 55 File Manager windows are starting every time I boot Solaris!!!!

I have no idea why this is happening, but yesterday I was trying to
eject the CD-Rom, and everything kinda froze up for me in Solaris. Then,
out of nowhere approximately 55 file manager windows came up!!!!!  It
took me about 5-6 minutes to get them all shut down because my system
was on its knees by then. Now, every time I boot into Solaris these same
55 windows open up automatically and I have no idea how to stop them!
I'm using CDE, as my desktop by the way. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance....

Jim

2. Configure a Canon BJC-4100 ?

3. Booting Solaris x86 via OS/2's Boot Manager

4. configure 2FD/2IDE/CDROM/soundcard/backup?

5. boot Solaris x86 from Win NT boot manager?

6. Hilfe!! "default add route ippp0" funzzt nicht!?

7. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

8. su command and enter yes

9. Motif Window Manager and Solaris x86 2.5.1

10. * Window manager for solaris x86 where ?

11. Solaris x86 boot manager?

12. Solaris x86 & boot manager?

13. Disabling boot manager in Solaris 2.4 x86? How?