Veritas VXVM 4.0 installation issues

Post by Shivakanth Mund » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:52:23

Here are some error messages I see when I try to boot after installing
VXVM 4.0 on one of the boxes. I am working on one of the submirrors. I
also collapsed the filesystems /var,/opt,/usr into / onto the
submirror that gets installed with 4.0. I am wondering if any VXVM
information is being carried over from the other disk which runs 3.2
when I do the ufsdump.

what could possibly cause the volboot file from not being loaded? I
didnt even get a chance to run vxinstall or vxdiskadm. I get these
errors after I install the 4.0 packages and patches.

vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7607 vxvm:vxconfigd: WARNING: File
/etc/vx/array.info doesn't exist.
vxvm:vxconfigd: Generating file /etc/vx/array.info.
vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-1589 enable failed: Volboot file not
loaded
vxvm:vxconfigd:         transactions are disabled.
vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-946 Rootdg cannot be imported during
boot

VxVM vxvm-startup2 INFO V-5-2-503 VxVM general startup...
V-5-1-7607 vxvm:vxconfigd: WARNING: File /etc/vx/array.info doesn't
exist.
Generating file /etc/vx/array.info.

VxVM vxconfigd ERROR V-5-1-1589 enable failed: Volboot file not loaded
       transactions are disabled.
VxVM vxvm-startup2 ERROR V-5-2-3656 Vold is not enabled for
transactions
       No volumes started

I installed all the packages and then rebooted the box. The other
mirror on this box still have a 3.2 VXVM. I have entered that into
/etc/vx/disks.exclude file.  How come its trying to import Rootdg
which is not a mandatory diskgroup any more in 4.0?

Thanks,
Sivakanth

Post by aryzh » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:03:32

> Here are some error messages I see when I try to boot after installing
> VXVM 4.0 on one of the boxes. I am working on one of the submirrors. I
> also collapsed the filesystems /var,/opt,/usr into / onto the
> submirror that gets installed with 4.0. I am wondering if any VXVM
> information is being carried over from the other disk which runs 3.2
> when I do the ufsdump.

> what could possibly cause the volboot file from not being loaded? I
> didnt even get a chance to run vxinstall or vxdiskadm. I get these
> errors after I install the 4.0 packages and patches.

> vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-7607 vxvm:vxconfigd: WARNING: File
> /etc/vx/array.info doesn't exist.
> vxvm:vxconfigd: Generating file /etc/vx/array.info.
> vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-1589 enable failed: Volboot file not
> loaded
> vxvm:vxconfigd:         transactions are disabled.
> vxvm:vxconfigd: V-5-1-946 Rootdg cannot be imported during
> boot

> VxVM vxvm-startup2 INFO V-5-2-503 VxVM general startup...
> V-5-1-7607 vxvm:vxconfigd: WARNING: File /etc/vx/array.info doesn't
> exist.
> Generating file /etc/vx/array.info.

> VxVM vxconfigd ERROR V-5-1-1589 enable failed: Volboot file not loaded
>        transactions are disabled.
> VxVM vxvm-startup2 ERROR V-5-2-3656 Vold is not enabled for
> transactions
>        No volumes started

> I installed all the packages and then rebooted the box. The other
> mirror on this box still have a 3.2 VXVM. I have entered that into
> /etc/vx/disks.exclude file.  How come its trying to import Rootdg
> which is not a mandatory diskgroup any more in 4.0?

It's not clear from your post whether you did a fresh
Solaris installation follwed by VxVM 4 install,
or tried to upgrade from VxVM 3.2.
Have you encapsulated the VxVM 4.0 boot disk?
Can you post the contents of /etc/vfstab and /etc/system,
and output of

  ls -l /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/.
  ls -lL /dev/vx/rdsk/root*
  echo "pa\npr" | format cXtYdZ

Where X Y and Z are boot disk'd controller, ID and LUN.

The rc scripts may try to import the rootdg just because
/etc/system, state.d and vfstab refer to rootdg volumes.

Are you still able to boot from the reserved 3.2 submirror?
output of "vxprint -g rootdg" would be useful, too.

Regards,
Andrei

Veritas VXVM 4.0 installation issues

Post by Shivakanth Mund » Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:35:54

Quote:> It's not clear from your post whether you did a fresh
> Solaris installation follwed by VxVM 4 install,
> or tried to upgrade from VxVM 3.2.
> Have you encapsulated the VxVM 4.0 boot disk?
> Can you post the contents of /etc/vfstab and /etc/system,
> and output of

No, The box had Solaris 8 with VXVM 3.2. I removed one disk from
veritas control, did a ufsdump | ufsrestore on to that disk, booted on
that disk with
install-db file in there on raw partitions, removed VRTS* packages,
installed 4.0 packages and patches. Need less to say the /etc/vfstab
was modified and stuff in /etc/system was commented as well.

Quote:>   ls -l /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/.
>   ls -lL /dev/vx/rdsk/root*
>   echo "pa\npr" | format cXtYdZ

> Where X Y and Z are boot disk'd controller, ID and LUN.

> The rc scripts may try to import the rootdg just because
> /etc/system, state.d and vfstab refer to rootdg volumes.

> Are you still able to boot from the reserved 3.2 submirror?
> output of "vxprint -g rootdg" would be useful, too.

> Regards,
> Andrei

I ran into 2 issues.

After I installed packages and patches I was rebooting the box and the
volboot file was not being generated properly and also the system
would see the other disk and create rootdg entries in /dev/vx/dsk and
/dev/vx/rdsk inspite of the /etc/vx/disks.exclude file with the disk
name in it.

I figured out later to run vxinstall witout rebooting the box (this
would still generate the rootdg entries for the other disk) to create
a proper volboot file, run vxdiskadm and then surpress the disk from
VXVM's view(options 17,2), then delete the rootdg entries in
/dev/vx/dsk and /dev/vx/rdsk for that disk so that it is not seen at
next reboot. Then a vxencap command would set up the current disk for
encapsulation and you can bring the other disk into veritas control
after successful encapsulation.

I by mistake once removed the entries for rootdg before I did
vxdiskadm and I had to re do the whole thing again as vxdiskadm had no
clue of what I am trying to surpress and would just see the other disk
and will eventually fail the encapsulation.

when I ran vxdiskadm (options 17 followed by 2)it created two files
/etc/vx/vxvm.exclude and /etc/vx/vxdmp.exclude whcih excluded the disk
properly. For some reason I was thinking /etc/vx/disks.exclude will
take care of it and it apparently didnt.

To avoid all this fuss one can simply yank out the other disk when we
boot up on the 4.0 disk and put it back in later.

Thanks for your help aryzhov.
Shivakanth.

1. Veritas VxVM vs. DiskSuite 4.0...which one to use??

Hi All,

I've just got a question on the difference between Veritas VxVM and
Sun's Solstice DiskSuite 4.0. We've just purchased an SSA 210 RSM
and since it came with Veritas VxVM, I installed it and configured
a RAID5 volume.

Anyway, our local Sun dealer is trying quite hard to convince us
to change to Solstice DiskSuite 4.0 instead - up to the point where
we're going to get less support from them if we continue using VxVM.
I'd like to know the advantages/disadvantages of the two packages -
basically a head-on VxVM vs. DiskSuite.

Has anyone tried both, does anyone have any preferences?? Any info
through e-mail is greatly appreciated as I don't get access to this
newsgroup easily and my contract with this job is ending soon. If I
have to move from Veritas to DiskSuite, I'd like to do it ASAP.

Thank you in advance,
Sean Chan
--

Olympic Dam Corporation (WMC Resources Ltd.) / 3.3 million little Malaysian
+61 (0)86 718-242 (W) +61 (0)86 710-592 (H) / men running around frantically

2. Exec Apache more than one time...

3. Issue with DMP and T3 Arrays (Sol 9 & VxVM 4.0)

4. AC97 / VIA VT82C686A plays too fast

5. 4500 issue with veritas/clarrion issue

6. Xemacs problems

7. Veritas vxvm

8. **** Under SUNOS, when YP run, DNS broke.

9. Jumpstart and Veritas vxvm/fs - sol8

10. Where can I find Veritas VxVM manuals w/o buying it first?

11. Sun T3, Solaris MPxIO and Veritas VxVM

12. Drive Management under DiskSuite and Veritas VxVM

13. Veritas VxVM Question