Termcap problems on WYSE 60 terminal on olden Sun3 boxen... any fix?

Termcap problems on WYSE 60 terminal on olden Sun3 boxen... any fix?

Post by Bob Ke » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have several old sun3 boxes that I run as home closet servers for
web design.  On one of them it is using a WYSE 60 terminal as the
console.  I noticed that on an ls, it totally nukes the screen, yet
an ls -l prints fine on the screen.  Anyone know if that is a problem
with using a serial console, or a termcap problem, or a terminal
problem?  The OS is SunOS-4.1.1.

If it is a problem with the termcap, does anyone have a WYSE 60
termcap entry handy, or a vt100 emulating entry for the WYSE terminals?

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys

Post by T.E.Dicke » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I have several old sun3 boxes that I run as home closet servers for
> web design.  On one of them it is using a WYSE 60 terminal as the
> console.  I noticed that on an ls, it totally nukes the screen, yet
> an ls -l prints fine on the screen.  Anyone know if that is a problem
> with using a serial console, or a termcap problem, or a terminal
> problem?  The OS is SunOS-4.1.1.

as a direct connect (console), perhaps it's having flow-control problems.
an 'ls' takes less cpu/disk time, so can run faster.  the 'ls -l' will
run a little slower.  if you 'cat' the output from 'ls -l' it should
be even worse wrt overruns.

(but changing termcap won't affect this)

Quote:> If it is a problem with the termcap, does anyone have a WYSE 60

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

:
: as a direct connect (console), perhaps it's having flow-control problems.
: an 'ls' takes less cpu/disk time, so can run faster.  the 'ls -l' will
: run a little slower.  if you 'cat' the output from 'ls -l' it should
: be even worse wrt overruns.

I don't sense that is what is happening, because it happens at the end
of each column of the ls output.  It works fine on a real vt100 terminal.
The WYSE 60 dies on its vt100 emulation on only that one output.  That
really suggests something in the translation process, probably a poor
termcap value.  The terminal works fine up to 38Kbaud, so a liesurely
9600 baud as the sun console should not be locking up the flow control.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

Bob Keys

1. termcap entry for wyse 60 terminal

I am trying to connect a Wyse 60 terminal to a Sun Sparcstation 2.  There
are entries in /etc/termcap for Wyse 50, 75 and 85 terminals, but not the
Wyse 60.  The terminal works, but the terminal type is 'unknown'.  Could
someone please email me the right /etc/termcap entry for the Wyse 60?

2. FAQ?????

3. Wyse-60 and termcap 2.0.8?

4. FreeBSD boot loader question

5. Wyse 60 terminal problems

6. NIS+ & YP domainnames

7. Need a termcap entry for Wyse-300 or Wyse-100 terminals

8. swapping performance: some suggestions

9. Help booting an elderly Sun3/60 off a linux box...

10. WYSE 60 terminal wanted

11. Flow control with Wyse 60 terminal

12. help: Wyse 60 Terminal Setup