Why can't open /dev/console when user xconsole ???

Why can't open /dev/console when user xconsole ???

Post by S.F.Ch » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

When I use xconsole under xdm , its always says :Couldn't open console

how can I do ??

Why can't open /dev/console when user xconsole ???

Post by Bobby Hay » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

in ksh
$ export DISPLAY=:0.0

in csh
% set DISPLAY=:0.0

that should work for you if you are on the console. Remember only the
initial Console window deaults :0.0 as its display. All subsequent
DISPLAY variables are null.

Why can't open /dev/console when user xconsole ???

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>in csh
>% set DISPLAY=:0.0

Nope, try:

        setenv DISPLAY :0.0

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Why can't open /dev/console when user xconsole ???

Post by S.F.Ch » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>in ksh
>$ export DISPLAY=:0.0

>in csh
>% set DISPLAY=:0.0

>that should work for you if you are on the console. Remember only the
>initial Console window deaults :0.0 as its display. All subsequent
>DISPLAY variables are null.

Then When sould I set it ?? In Xservers , Xsetup_0 , or ...... ??

1. xconsole can't open /dev/console?

Running XDM on Solaris 2.4, our attempts to redirect output to
/dev/console using xconsole fail with the message "can't open console",
regardless of userid (even fails for root).  The "GiveConsole" and
"TakeConsole" scripts appear to be correct, setting the owner of
/dev/console to be the current user; even changing (temporarily!) the
permissions of /dev/console and every other pseudo-device with "cons" in
its name to be world-readable and -writeable doesn't help.

Any other ideas why /dev/console might be unredirectable (or whether
xconsole is doing something strange?)

Thanks for any suggestions,
pch

2. I can't untar an archive because there are ".." in the path.

3. xconsole can't open /dev/console

4. solaris jvm?

5. xconsole 'Couldn't open console'

6. Ack... New user help

7. xconsole cannot open /dev/console.

8. xdm problems after debian 1.3 install

9. Ghostscript:svgalib: can't open /dev/console...why??

10. xconsole : Couldn't open console !!!

11. xconsole - Error Couldn't open console

12. xconsole: Couldn't open console

13. xconsole.... "Couldn't open console"??