Console Servers for Sun SPARC systems?

Post by jrt40 » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:38:00

Hiya,
I'm currently in the process of acquiring some new console servers to
provide us remote manageability of around 100 Sun boxes. We have
traditionally used Lightwave console servers - however these (in there
std form) don't provide secure remote access.

Would like to hear of your experiences (good/bad) with all the various
product offerings out there.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Post by Neal A. Lucie » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:30:07

> Hiya,
> I'm currently in the process of acquiring some new console servers to
> provide us remote manageability of around 100 Sun boxes. We have
> traditionally used Lightwave console servers - however these (in there
> std form) don't provide secure remote access.

> Would like to hear of your experiences (good/bad) with all the various
> product offerings out there.

> Thanks in advance for any responses.

We use the Lantronix SCS1620 product.  It is a 16 port console server
with SSHv2 support running linux.  It supports looking up users in
NIS/LDAP/Radius, but we never saw the benefit of this and just create
local users on the device itself.

Every now and again it flips out with shared library errors and won't
allow us to connect to any of the servers or ssh into it until we reboot
it.  Also by default lilo is not configured to automatically boot a
kernel image, so you have to be in front of the dumb terminal and hit
enter at boot time.

Both of these prolems are most likely fixable if we cared enough to call
tech support (or google "lilo").

And one time the character set was screwed up when connected to our E450
when we connected via SSH to the lantronix, though the character set was
correct if we used the dumb term directly connected to the lantronix.
This didn't end up getting fixed until we rebooted the E450, a reboot of
the lantronix didn't fix it.

Overall we have been very happy with it, but we have a rather relaxed
computing environment where reboots in the middle of the day aren't the
end of the world.

Neal

Console Servers for Sun SPARC systems?

Post by Dimitri Maziu » Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:00:48

Neal A. Lucier sez:

>> Hiya,
>> I'm currently in the process of acquiring some new console servers to
>> provide us remote manageability of around 100 Sun boxes. We have
>> traditionally used Lightwave console servers - however these (in there
>> std form) don't provide secure remote access.

>> Would like to hear of your experiences (good/bad) with all the various
>> product offerings out there.

>> Thanks in advance for any responses.

> We use the Lantronix SCS1620 product.  It is a 16 port console server
> with SSHv2 support running linux.
> Overall we have been very happy with it

Ditto for 1600. We also have a couple of BlackBoxes. The
rack-mountable RJ54/RS232 BB costs more than SC1600, requires
custom cables (not sold by BB, you must make your own), and
was more of a pain to set up.

Dima
--
"Mirrors and * are abominable because they increase the number of
entities."                                        -- corollary to Occam's Razor

Console Servers for Sun SPARC systems?

Post by Barbie LeVil » Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:27:55

On 24 Jan 2005 04:38:00 -0800

> Hiya,
> I'm currently in the process of acquiring some new console servers to
> provide us remote manageability of around 100 Sun boxes. We have
> traditionally used Lightwave console servers - however these (in there
> std form) don't provide secure remote access.

> Would like to hear of your experiences (good/bad) with all the various
> product offerings out there.

I like the Digi console server, nice and simple setup, does ssh, web,
telnet and so on.

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
week. Time to die.

Post by krisi » Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:22:36

> Neal A. Lucier sez:

>>>Hiya,
>>>I'm currently in the process of acquiring some new console servers to
>>>provide us remote manageability of around 100 Sun boxes. We have
>>>traditionally used Lightwave console servers - however these (in there
>>>std form) don't provide secure remote access.

>>>Would like to hear of your experiences (good/bad) with all the various
>>>product offerings out there.

>>>Thanks in advance for any responses.

>>We use the Lantronix SCS1620 product.  It is a 16 port console server
>>with SSHv2 support running linux.

>>Overall we have been very happy with it

> Ditto for 1600. We also have a couple of BlackBoxes. The
> rack-mountable RJ54/RS232 BB costs more than SC1600, requires
> custom cables (not sold by BB, you must make your own), and
> was more of a pain to set up.

> Dima

Used a 24 port cyclades in the past.
It worked well.

1. console & sun sparc server 1000

Hi,

  two questions:

  1.) When I connected my laptop, using kermit, I can connect to all
other servers' such as ss20, ultra 1 and ultra 2, but, I just could not
connect to my Sparcserver 1000.  What may be the problem?  All the
kermit settings are correct.  could it because of anything that I miss?

  2.) behind the server, there are sets of indication leds.  the green
lights indicate CPU, what is the amber light indicating?

  So, to solve the console problem, I connect my server to a monitor &
keyboard, and it did show all the things on the screen.

  3.) Now, can I simply UNPLUG the keyboard & monitor without
interrupting the services (without reboot).

  If possible, please mail my reply.  thanks... and appreciate all