OpenWindows Bug under Solaris2.4x86?

Post by Karim Kascha » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

some time ago, I compiled xfig 3.1.4 to run under Solaris2.4x86. I'm running
xfig now for nearly 3 months and in that time hit upon a strange bug:

Each time after loading a *.fig-file, selecting a drawing mode like "Rectan-
gular BOX drawing" and toggling some of those pixmap buttons on the indicator
panel like the "Grid mode" or "Point posn" button twice, the upper left corner
of the screen suddenly is mapped "into" this button (normally the pixmap of
such a button is exchanged by another xfig pixmap). When closing xfig after-
wards and finishing the OpenWindows session, a core will be written out and
the display will show a pattern of blue vertical bars, which cannot be cleared
without rebooting the computer.

Since this bug does not occur, when using another X-server e.g. the respective
XFree86 server or when running xfig on a HP710 under HPUX9.0, and since the
written out core indicates some trouble with /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun, which is
the OpenWindows X-server, I guess, this problem is caused by a bug in this
server (I didn't debug Xsun, for I haven't got the source code, I just had a
look into the core with 'fm').

So I should be very grateful, if there is someone out there, who can help me
to fix this bug.

Thank you,

Karim
Dipl.-Ing. Karim Kaschani )*                     Tel.  : +49 531 391-3800
Institut fuer Elektrophysik                      Fax   : +49 531 391-5844

Hans-Sommer-Str. 66
D-38106 Braunschweig                             )* It's "Karim", indeed, with
Germany                                             an "M" just like "male"

1. Solaris2.4x86 /dev/lp is SLOW - bug or user error?

I have a strange problem with Solaris 2.4x86. I connected a local
printer to the parallel printer port on a multi-I/O board.  There is
just one problem: Solaris can put only _one byte per second_ through
the port to the printer!

The hardware seems to be ok. I booted the machine to DOS and
copied half a megabyte file to lpt1. It came out in a few
minutes, just like it should. This proves the printer works
like expected and the lpt1 -port and the multi-I/O card are
also ok.

Even if I copy something to the port directly (like cat printtest.txt >
/dev/lp1 ), it takes one minute for a 60-byte piece of text to get to
the printer. This proves the problem is not with the lp system but with
the /dev/lp1 -driver. I checked the interrupt level and the I/O -port
are set correctly both on the board and in the /kernel/lp.conf -file,
so the problem is not there. I suspected a bug and installed all the
lp-related patches. It did not help.

What have I forgotten to check? Is there somewhere a file (or whatever)
to set the baud rate of the _parallel_ connection?

ArNO
    2

2. kernel-patch-ulog 2.4.7-4

3. Solaris2.4x86 Attaching external modem

4. Regexes for <Location> don't work right inside <virtualhost>

5. Solaris2.4x86 Hardware flow control

6. * Mosaic 2.4 Self-Destruction *

7. Solaris 2.4x86 bug(?) and other questions

8. Display problem

9. Configuration bug in Solaris 2.4x86?

10. BUG in OpenWindows 3.4 on 2.4 x86?

11. Bug in OpenWindows? (olwm)

12. Bug in OpenWindows Mailtool

13. OpenWindows and SparcWorks on LX bugs!