Multiple Processors on Ultra 2s

Post by Ron Zcor » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:23:30

System I currently run came with several Ultra 2s , two which are using two
processors. From several of the companies selling older Sun parts I find 200
Mhz processors for Ultra 2s at good prices.

Is adding a second processor as simple as plugging in another card? I am using
Solaris 2.6 - are any modifications or a reinstall necessary?

Do the processors need to be in matched pairs? Current systems have same speed
processors but I assume this is the way they were sold.

How many processors can be installed in an Ultra 2?  Someone I work with
thought he heard that up to 4 could be used but wasn't sure if some aftermarket
parts were required to make it work.

Are there any know issues with U;tra 2s with multiple processors using Solaris
7 or * with 64 bit support?

Thanks for any information.

Multiple Processors on Ultra 2s

Post by Matthew P. Marin » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 05:46:49

Can't say much except that I have two Ultra2's with dual 200's running 64bit
solaris 7. One web server one app server. Rock solid, unless you need a C compiler(ngh!)