SLIP for Solaris 2.3 or 2.4

Post by Robert Richar » Thu, 13 Oct 1994 06:09:12

What options are available for SLIP under Solaris 2.3 or 2.4.  Both
commercial and free options are of interest.

Thank You.

Cray Y-MP**ETA 10-E**Cray X-MP**NEC SX-2**Hitachi S-820/80**Cray 2S**NAS AS/XL

Stanford University              FAX:      (415) 725-1548
 Fujitsu VP-400**Amdahl 1400**E & S - 1**Ardent Titan**IBM 3090**Siemens H120F

1. SLIP for Solaris 2.3: slip-solaris-3

I have been trying to use Bruce Orchard's slip-solaris-3 to make slip
connections from my Solaris 2.3 system.  So far I have been
unsuccessful, and wonder if anyone can help.

I tip into my slip server, which delivers the appropriate Internet
addresses (in dotted form).  Then I run slip-attach with these
addresses, and this completes fine.  But pinging the server then
fails, as does everything else.  The modem lights indicate that I am
sending out packets to the server, but I am not getting anything back.
Any pointers?

Two notes:
1) In a recent article by Jason Davis on PPP (Id no longer available),
he writes that for PPP it is necessary to tell the network how to
route packets back to the remote client using arp.  Perhaps the same
problem arises with SLIP?  If so, what kind of object is required for
the first argument in:
        arp -s ???? "Ethernet address of client" -pub
It doesn't accept the dotted Internet addresses delivered by the
server, but what else could there be?  Perhaps this is a blind alley.

2) In the slip dox, it states that the modem must not follow DTR
(AT&D0).  If your modem is set to do this, then the tip process grabs
the CPU and drives the load through the roof.  Killing tip returns
normality, but closes the modem connection.  I mention this, since I
wrestled with this for the longest time, and figure that there is
little reason for anyone else to.

Any help greatly appreciated -- Dave
--
Yeats on USEnet:
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

2. FAQ or HOWTO about setup w/ RAM > 1GB ???

3. Solaris 2.4 vs. Solaris 2.3

4. lp daemon

5. moving from SPARC solaris 2.3 to x86 solaris 2.4

6. Konqueror memory leaks...

7. SLIP SLIP SLIP. I need slip for Solaris 2.3 / 2.4!

8. Question - Nvi recovery program, what is it?

9. Passing Sockets under Solaris 2.3/2.4

10. "textedit" under Solaris 2.3 and 2.4

11. Upgrading from Solaris 2.3 to 2.4 ....

12. anl-passwd for Solaris 2.3/2.4

13. amusing stdio core dump (Solaris 2.4 or 2.3, sparc)