Apache Not Responding When Being Accessed From Outside Local Network

Apache Not Responding When Being Accessed From Outside Local Network

Post by Hardeep Rakhr » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:46:08

Heya,

I've just set up a Solaris 9 install and got the bundled apache up and
running, however while i can reach apache from the local network via my
outside world ip, anyone out side the local network (i.e joe internet)
can't get anything from apache.  The browser get's to connecting and
sits there waiting.

Port 80 is open on the router, and i know it works, as i can serve pages
off my windows machine to the outside world just fine.

Looking at the access log, apache is logging the request but then not
for filling it.

Any ideas?

Hardeep.

Apache Not Responding When Being Accessed From Outside Local Network

Post by Davide Bianch » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:03:30

Quote:> Looking at the access log, apache is logging the request but then not
> for filling it.
> Any ideas?

Is your Solaris machine configured correctly for the internet?
Does he know the default router and the DNS?

Davide

--

Post by Hardeep Rakhr » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:13:10

> Is your Solaris machine configured correctly for the internet?
> Does he know the default router and the DNS?

Yes, as far as I know.  I can sit quite happily on it doing all manner
of other internet tasks.... well mostly browsing in firefox.

All other services on the machine are reachable from the outside world
(SSH and FTP).

Granted this is the first time i've done this so It's gonna be a case of
having fluffed the config somewhere.  Most probably on the apache front.

Hardeep.

Post by Tony Curti » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:16:16

>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:13:10 +0000,

>> Is your Solaris machine configured correctly for the
>> internet?  Does he know the default router and the DNS?

> Yes, as far as I know.  I can sit quite happily on it doing
> all manner of other internet tasks.... well mostly browsing
> in firefox.
> All other services on the machine are reachable from the
> outside world (SSH and FTP).
> Granted this is the first time i've done this so It's gonna
> be a case of having fluffed the config somewhere.  Most
> probably on the apache front.

Is your apache being told to only listen for connections to
localhost in httpd.conf??

You can easily test this by connecting to the URL

    http://localhost/

from a browser on that machine.

hth

Post by Hardeep Rakhr » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:37:16

  > Is your apache being told to only listen for connections to

Quote:> localhost in httpd.conf??

> You can easily test this by connecting to the URL

>     http://localhost/

> from a browser on that machine.

Hi there, browsing to localhost works.  But i don't understand why
apache would log requests from the outside world, if it wasn't listening
for connections from the outside.

Like i said, the request turns up in the log but isn't fulfilled.  The
client is kept waiting till it eventualy times out.

Hardeep.

Post by Tony Curti » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:34:11

>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:37:16 +0000,

> Like i said, the request turns up in the log but isn't
> fulfilled.  The client is kept waiting till it eventualy
> times out.

Sounds like a firewall issue then (http not getting back
out?).

Post by Hardeep Rakhr » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:48:37

> Sounds like a firewall issue then (http not getting back
> out?).

Again, it's not that, cos if i run a http server on my windows machine
and point the router at that, all is fine.

It's something fluffed with apache, i can't see where else it could be
going wrong, given the behavior it exhibits as per my original post.

Hardeep.

Post by Tony Curti » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 03:51:21

>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:48:37 +0000,

>> Sounds like a firewall issue then (http not getting back
>> out?).
> Again, it's not that, cos if i run a http server on my
> windows machine and point the router at that, all is fine.
> It's something fluffed with apache, i can't see where else
> it could be going wrong, given the behavior it exhibits as
> per my original post.

Post the httpd.conf, there might be a clue in it.

Post by Hardeep Rakhr » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:28:25

> Post the httpd.conf, there might be a clue in it.

Heya, Tony thanks for you help so far, just thought i'd say before we go
on :O)

you can find the config here : http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/xhttp.conf

Don't laugh too much as your read it.

Hardeep.

Apache Not Responding When Being Accessed From Outside Local Network

Post by Pet » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:11:33

Quote:> > Post the httpd.conf, there might be a clue in it.

==
#
# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, instead of the default. See also the <VirtualHost>
# directive.
#
#Listen 3000
#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
==

Dude, should this not be uncommented and have an appropriate address
stuck in it? Otherwise I think it only binds to localhost.

hth,
Pete

Apache Not Responding When Being Accessed From Outside Local Network

Post by Davide Bianch » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:34:31

Quote:> Don't laugh too much as your read it.

For what? Is a configuration file, not a funny story.

Anyway, I found these:

Servername 82.44.162.69
UseCanonicalName On

I would suggest to use UseCanonicalName Off, this way the server
will build his own 'name' based on the request he receive and not
forcing 82.44.162.69 as server name.

Davide

--
| The BOFH's First Axiom: There are no inappropriate means for achieving
| the goal of getting questions or silence. Named by Mike Andrews,
| defined by Rebecca Ore

Apache Not Responding When Being Accessed From Outside Local Network

Post by Davide Bianch » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:35:35

Quote:> Dude, should this not be uncommented

No, otherwise the server will listen only to one IP/port, if you
let them commented the server will respond to request coming from
every interface and su every port he is handling (80/443/whatever).

Davide

--

Post by Hardeep Rakhr » Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:52:29

> I would suggest to use UseCanonicalName Off, this way the server
> will build his own 'name' based on the request he receive and not
> forcing 82.44.162.69 as server name.

This just getting no where fast I think.

Just tried it with "UseCanonicalName Off" but the same issue.  I was
hoping it'd be somthing simple, but seem, i'm just lucky enough to run
into something obscure!

Thank you anyway Davide.

Hardeep.

Post by Leac » Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:01:35

>> Sounds like a firewall issue then (http not getting back
>> out?).

> Again, it's not that, cos if i run a http server on my windows machine
> and point the router at that, all is fine.

> It's something fluffed with apache, i can't see where else it could be
> going wrong, given the behavior it exhibits as per my original post.

> Hardeep.

Some diagnostic things to try:

Do a tcpdump on the interface to see if Apache is actually responding
out on the network you expect.

Do a netstat -a to double check what interfaces Apache is listening
on. (You're getting activity in the log, so this is likely okay.)

Set it to the same IP as your working windows server, to rule out a
firewall issue -- maybe it is getting out of your Solaris box,
but getting eaten by the firewall.

Post by Matt » Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:19:16

>> Post the httpd.conf, there might be a clue in it.

> Heya, Tony thanks for you help so far, just thought i'd say before we go
> on :O)

> you can find the config here : http://www.makeupheaven.co.uk/xhttp.conf

> Don't laugh too much as your read it.

> Hardeep.

Post the output of `netstat -an | grep -i listen`

1. Should apache 1.3.4 not work outside of /usr/local/apache?

   Hello,
on Sparc Solaris 2.5.1 I try to install and get Apache 1.3.4 running:

   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/etc/apache_1.3.4
   make
   make install

   /usr/local/etc/apache_1.3.4/bin/apachectl start
   fopen: No such file or directory
   httpd: could not open document config file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

Why is Apache looking in

    /usr/local/apache/conf

for its config file? Should it not look in:

   /usr/local/etc/apache_1.3.4/conf

since that is what I specified with the prefix command? The 'apachectl'
seems to have no way to specify the location of the

   /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

file. Is there a solution outside of symbolic links?

   - Henrik

--
Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

2. Sendmail Problems, I suppose... (0/1)

3. Unable to access outside local network

4. Installing all pkg:s

5. newbie help with starting an apache server...users outside local network cant find server.

6. Instalation of LM336 PCMCIA in SCO 5.0.4

7. Site not viewable outside of local network

8. Mixing EIDE and SCSI breaks Slackware

9. Servers not responding when access from network

10. newbie problem: apache not available from outside of network

11. Can't access Apache on local network

12. Unable to access HTM files on Apache 1.3.9 over local (privat) network

13. port 25 not responding to outside