Missing Disk Space on Solaris 2.6

Post by will.. » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I am running Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc...
When I do a df -k on the /install partition it
says that 140,000MB is being used but when I do
a  du -k on /install it says that only 20,000MB is
being used???
Where is the 120,000MB gone???
Conor

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Missing Disk Space on Solaris 2.6

Post by Nick Rosie » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

did you reboot this system; i once had a simular problem and rebooting fixed
it.

otherwise, do you have many files on this partition or do you make constant
updates?
check with tunefs to see what the minfree diskspace is and adjust it from 10
to 1% if needed. also, you could consider optimizing for space in stead of
time if many updates are made to this system. i once had a problem with a
proxy-cache partition of 4gb that had file system full errors at 3.4gb.
adjusting space optimization fixed this problem.

N.

> Hi,
> I am running Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc...
> When I do a df -k on the /install partition it
> says that 140,000MB is being used but when I do
> a  du -k on /install it says that only 20,000MB is
> being used???
> Where is the 120,000MB gone???
> Conor

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Missing Disk Space on Solaris 2.6

Post by ajgu.. » Sun, 16 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Have you rebooted the server or run 'fsck' lately?   One thing to note
about Solaris (and Unix  in general) is that if you remove/delete a file
while it is open, you do not reclaim the disk  space until all processes
that have it open close it, and then sometimes not until an 'fsck' is
run.

Try running 'fsck -n' on the mounted filesystem (the '-n' will prevent
any changes and  will cause 'fsck' to just report problems).  You may
find that a 120,000MB unreferenced file  (or multiple files) exist.  A
reboot (with its accompanying 'fsck -p') will reclaim the disk  space.

> Hi,
> I am running Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc...
> When I do a df -k on the /install partition it
> says that 140,000MB is being used but when I do
> a  du -k on /install it says that only 20,000MB is
> being used???
> Where is the 120,000MB gone???
> Conor

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. pppd error

3. How could I know the available space disk on a Sun Microsystem running under solaris 2.6 ?

4. What can I do now to help out Linux?

5. disk space under solaris 2.6

6. automount / NIS+ problems in two-server setup

7. How add remain disk space for Solaris 2.6

8. How to use higher resolution for X?

9. Solaris 2.5.1 upgrade to 2.6 , How much disk space is needed?

10. Swap memory , RAM memory and available space disk on a Sun MicroSystem under Solaris 2.6 ?

11. Solaris 2.6 Upgrade Disk Space Requirements

12. Device that blocks [Was: disk space under solaris 2.6]

13. Solaris 2.6, "minfree", 10% free space, tunefs and time vs space