CDRW and Solaris?

Post by Erik N. Kova » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Anyone ever get a CDRW (specifically a Ricoh CDRW drive) to work under
Solaris?  I can read CD's just fine but want to newfs the disk and
write stuff to it.  Solaris only lets me mount CDRW discs read only
and I can't even format the demo disc I have...

Thanx

Voch
Erik "Voch" Kovach | It's better to have loved and lost than absolutely

CDRW and Solaris?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Anyone ever get a CDRW (specifically a Ricoh CDRW drive) to work under
>Solaris?  I can read CD's just fine but want to newfs the disk and
>write stuff to it.  Solaris only lets me mount CDRW discs read only
>and I can't even format the demo disc I have...

I don't know what you expect when buying the drive, but CD-RW is no
replacement for MO or Magnetic discs.

-       There is a format SCSI command on this drive but it will not do what
        you expect.

-       You can re-write sectors, but you have to erase then before.

-       Even if the driver would erase sectors for you, the medium would
        become bad in less than a month if you put a ufs type filesystem on it.

-       You can not write to a single sector as you can with a MO or a
        magnetic disk.

-       You could put something like ECMA 167 (UDF) filesystem on it, but
        Solaris does not support it.

-       My WORM filesystem would do it too, but I still have to port it
        from SunOS 4.x to Solaris 2.x. Even then I would need to add
        special support for CD-RW, but it would then be better than
        UDF.

Cdrecord does support the drive as a CD-R drive and you may use it on
Solaris x86 or on sparc with my hacked sd driver that supports 2048
bytes / sector.

Cdrecord-1.6a5 (the current development snapshot) does even support
the various blanking options.

Cdrecord may be retrieved from ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord
Cdrecord-1.6a5 is on ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha

Joerg