Solaris 2.4 panic: free: freeing free block

Solaris 2.4 panic: free: freeing free block

Post by Jim Simmon » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I recently (< a week ago)  installed all the "recommended" patches for
a Solaris 2.4 system and since then the system has been crashing
regularly with a "panic: free: freeing free block" message.

I searched the readme's on all the Sun patches I could find but
couldn't find a patch for Solaris 2.4 that mentioned this message.  It
IS mentioned in patches for other versions of the OS, but not for
SunOS.

Anyone have an idea of a way to fix it?  Should I just start backing
out all the patches I just installed until it starts working again?

The particular file system involved is a Solstice DiskSuite
meta-device, but I don't think that is the problem:  it was working
fine before the patches and I didn't install any DiskSuite patches.

The only other unusual thing in syslog is messages that say:

WARNING: md: logging device: /dev/md/dsk/d11 changed state to Hard Error
WARNING: md: logging device: /dev/md/dsk/d11 changed state to Okay

These show up after as the system reboots but I suspect they don't
indicate a real (hardware) problem, but I could be wrong.  There are
no other errors or unusual messages anywhere that I can find.

BTW, this is a Sun Sparc 5 system.

Thanks,

Jim

Solaris 2.4 panic: free: freeing free block

Post by Jim Simmon » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Sorry to follow up my own posting but I thought this might help
someone else.

I fixed the problem by backing out the kernel patch, 101945-43, going
back to 101945-41.  The readme for it said one of the fixes was for:

        1215792 delayed availability of freed diskspace when UFS
                logging with ODS 4.0/3.0

I suspect there is a problem with this particular fix.

Jim

Quote:> I recently (< a week ago)  installed all the "recommended" patches for

:
: I fixed the problem by backing out the kernel patch, 101945-43, going
: back to 101945-41.  The readme for it said one of the fixes was for:
:
:       1215792 delayed availability of freed diskspace when UFS
:               logging with ODS 4.0/3.0
:
: I suspect there is a problem with this particular fix.

I have seen this problem on some old SS2 machines on drives connected to
FSBE cards.  Moving the drives onto the MB SCSI or replacing the
motherboard fixes the problem.

1. Panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block during INN expire

I've been running an INN news server on FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE for a couple of
months and in the past few weeks it's taken to crashing every few nights
during the expire run (which involves deleting LOTS of files).

The machine is an older P-133 with 128MB RAM and an Adaptec 2940UW controller.
The root file system is on a 2GB Quantum Fireball SE2 and the news spool
is on a 9GB IBM Ultrastar 18ES.

I'm unable to analyze the dumps produced because gdb always says "kernel
symbol 'gd_curpcb' not found", which appears to have been a problem which
existed in the release for a while (lucky me).

Other than moving up to 3.3-STABLE (or something), any suggestions?
The opinions expressed in this message are my own and are not the opinions of
anyone who does not hold those opinions.

2. Freebsd w/ 3com 3c59x (pci) controller

3. FREE E-MAIL, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

4. Does NCSA 1.5 suck, or what?

5. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

6. simple shell scripting question

7. remove sys_security

8. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

9. FREE EMAIL ACCOUNT FREE DISK SPACE FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

10. free block error in solaris 2.4

11. mangled entry/freeing free block problem