Tools for a newbee

Post by CyberForc » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:09:39

I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I
don't see it in any of the directories. Does it come with Solaris 10 or
do you have to install it? If so, where and how do you install these
tools?

Tools for a newbee

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:25:05

> I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
> make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I
> don't see it in any of the directories. Does it come with Solaris 10 or
> do you have to install it? If so, where and how do you install these
> tools?

Did you look in /usr/sfw/bin and /usr/ccs/bin?

Tools for a newbee

Post by Martin Pau » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:25:17

> I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
> make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I
> don't see it in any of the directories. Does it come with Solaris 10 or
> do you have to install it? If so, where and how do you install these
> tools?

Add /usr/sfw/bin and /usr/ccs/bin to your PATH.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna

Tools for a newbee

Post by Richard Skelto » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:27:06

> I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
> make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I
> don't see it in any of the directories. Does it come with Solaris 10 or
> do you have to install it? If so, where and how do you install these
> tools?

Hi,
Look in /usr/sfw/bin for gcc gmake etc
and /usr/ccs/bin for Solaris make

Cheers
Richard.

Tools for a newbee

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 02:10:48

> I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
> make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I

No need.  SOlaris 10 already comes with those tools.  For make, look in
/usr/ccs/bin, and for gcc look in /usr/sfw/bin (add those two to your
PATH).

For a better compiler, I recommend installing Sun's free Studio 11.

HTH,

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Tools for a newbee

Post by Michael Laajane » Thu, 09 Feb 2006 07:21:50

HI,

>>>I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
>>>make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I

>>No need.  SOlaris 10 already comes with those tools.  For make, look in
>>/usr/ccs/bin, and for gcc look in /usr/sfw/bin (add those two to your
>>PATH).

> And if you've got * makefiles that only work with GNU make, that's
> probably already available as /opt/sfw/bin/gmake (assuming you've got
> that optional stuff installed).  Note: that's where it is on Solaris 9;
> I don't have Solaris 10 handy to confirm it's in the same place there.

It is also in /usr/sfw/bin as the other GNU tools on S10 :)

/michael

Tools for a newbee

Post by vardhas » Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:58:58

> I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
> make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I
> don't see it in any of the directories. Does it come with Solaris 10 or
> do you have to install it? If so, where and how do you install these
> tools?

My advice is to download and install Sun Studio 11 - It is free.:-)

Tools for a newbee

Post by ohay » Fri, 10 Feb 2006 06:45:44

> I just installed a new Solaris 10 machine. I would like to install gcc,
> make, and other tools that are helpful for compiling new programs. I
> don't see it in any of the directories. Does it come with Solaris 10 or
> do you have to install it? If so, where and how do you install these
> tools?

Hi,

You can get gcc (Gcc?) from Sun's freeware website:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/#supported

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/s10pkgs_download.xml

Or, Sunfreeware:

http://www.sunfreeware.com

Or, Blastwave:

http://www.blastwave.org

But, as vardhasu suggested, go with Sun Studio 11, unless you have a
need for gcc...

Jim

1. Tools Tools Tools ... wanted

Greetings,

We have seveeral unix servers which are tightly link together(cross mount
points, NIS master/slave, NFS mounted $HOME, >5 network cards/server==>
routing nightmare...) I don't think there are any commercial tools off the
shelf can help us to manage this server.

What I need:
Do you know there is any public domain tools that will check most of the
unix daemon/NFS/NIS configuration/print queue/route.. in one command. It
would be a good
base for me to start so I can modify to the way we want. Right now there
is always something missing after system reboot and it took us hours to
locate them. I am sure that there is some tools that some administrators
are using now bit I don'tknow.

I appreciate any pointers and thoughts.

Bo

(Please email me also)

2. BTU calculations

3. File sychronizing tool, performance graph tool

4. Shell Programs (Don't Flame Me!!!!)

5. Net-Tools-1.1.93 networking tools uploaded

6. Help with install // FreeBSD + Linux

7. Stupid questions about linux dev tools and java dev tools

8. Problems with Root-Raid0

9. Shambler - A Firewall trap/tool (security tool)

10. Visual Code Comprehension Tools and ER Tools.

11. Prompt in shell tool / command tool

12. Development Tool, Project, CASE Tool

13. COMMERCIAL: bjc-tool - Canon Bubble Jet printer tool