DLPI intrigue

Post by Prob » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
        I have been trying to play around with DLPI interface in solaris 2.x
I have been using 'le' in my example program. but it can not read any data
from the stream unless i give the SAP number as 0x800 (getmsg() blocks).

        What is this magic number? Solaris le man page tells me that any
SAP from 0x00 - 0xFFFF is valid. Can anyone give me an explanation for this

thanks in advance,
harish

DLPI intrigue

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>    I have been trying to play around with DLPI interface in solaris 2.x
>I have been using 'le' in my example program. but it can not read any data
>from the stream unless i give the SAP number as 0x800 (getmsg() blocks).

>    What is this magic number? Solaris le man page tells me that any
>SAP from 0x00 - 0xFFFF is valid. Can anyone give me an explanation for this
>phenomena?

0x0800 is the IP ethernet frame type, so if you specify
this, you will receive all IP traffic. Another value which
will probably pick up some (but much less) traffic on a
TCP/IP/ethernet network is 0x0806 - see ETHERTYPE_IP,
ETHERTYPE_ARP, etc in /usr/include/sys/ethernet.h.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. PCs -intriguing CIA

2. Monitor Question

3. intrigued by mmap()

4. Linux with a K6

5. Bigger Apple erase -intriguing rule

6. MicroSpeed trackball

7. cmeclax Americans calculate remaining of intriguing

8. TV on ATI All-in-Wonder in Linux

9. haruspex algorithms can calculate -less intriguing

10. Intriguing ethernet strangeness

11. decode -intriguing

12. Remote printing woe and intrigue

13. havenco people -intriguing perl scripts