Need help with RPC timeout error

Post by Kevin W. Thom » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I repeatedly get the following error message on the console of a Sparc10
>server running SunOS 4.1.4

>clnttcp - create: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
>rpc.statd: cannot talk to statd at tody

>The problem is that the system "tody" was removed from the network some time
>ago, and is not expected to return.  Is there some way to get the server to
>stop attempting to contact the missing machine??
>Any help greatly appreciated.

>Peter Smith
>< Sometimes Monday's seem to last all week long>

Peter...

Do this:

o  rm /etc/sm.bak/tody
o  kill off rpc.statd process
o  Restart rpc.statd.

        Kevin W. Thomas
        Sun System Administrator & Meteorologist
        National Severe Storms Laboratory
        Norman, Oklahoma

1. Need help with rpc.statd and rpc.lockd messages (AIX 3.2)

For each workstation that I've upgraded to AIX 3.2 so far, we start to
get these messages on the console:

        Cannot register service: RPC: 1882-008 timed out
        rpc.statd: 1831-119 unable to register
                (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp)
        rpc.lockd: 1831-057 unable to register
                (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp)

Are we missing something in /etc/services?  Any suggestions or help or
comments would definitely be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

2. Giving up: Looking to hire someone to setup Linux printing

3. HELP!- I need rpc.lockd and rpc.statd for linux.

4. How do I set up Linux as a remote access server?

5. NFS PROBLEM - RPC Timeout error

6. Networkcard drivers for DE-200

7. Need help with RPC errors

8. Solaris Newbie with no MAN pages

9. Diskless client - getting RPC timeout from getfile (error 5)

10. NFS - RPC Timeout errors

11. need help: wvdial & ppp errors: unknown string: LCP timeout

12. Bad MNT RPC: hostname:/filesystem: RPC: Authentication error

13. rpc.nispasswdd[394]: rpc.nispasswd Error in accessing NIS+ cold start file... is NIS+ installed?.