problems accessing Seagate ST15230N Hawk4 4GB

problems accessing Seagate ST15230N Hawk4 4GB

Post by Phil Schwar » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have just installed, re-installed, re-re-installed, etc... etc... a
Seagate Hawk4 ST15230N 4 GB SCSI-2 hard drive to my Solaris x86 v2.4
system.  Everything appears to be fine (I was able to fdisk, fmthard and
newfs the drive) except when I copy (tar or move) files to it, the system
just hangs after a brief bit of successful transferring.  ie, If I am
copying 10 files of various sizes to it, it copies some of the files and
locks up after some them were transferred.  If I hit Ctrl-C, it will
sometimes break after a few minutes, other times I have to kill the
login shell process.

The system has atleast 24 meg of RAM and an Adaptec 1540/2 family
controller.  Other devices connected to this bus are an internal SCSI
drive (presumably SCSI-1), and external SCSI drive, an external SCSI-2
CD-ROM drive and the new Segate drive (external SCSI-2).  I eliminated
the other external drive from the bus (so that all of the external
devices are SCSI-2, but the problem still exists-- I cannot remove the
internal drive from the bus because it is the boot drive and contains the /
filesystem).

Any ideas as to what the problem is?  I low-level formatted the drive
after I experienced these problems and ran hardware & software
verification utilities on the drive and it appears to be fine.  Solaris
is doing something whacky w/ this drive.  Do I need to add another
adaptec controller and move this new drive to it (if that is the case,
does it matter that the external interface cable is SCSI-1 and the drive
itself is SCSI-2)??

I'm stumped on this... If somebody can provide any insight, I'd
appreciate any solutions.

Thanks,

Phil Schwartz

1. Adding 4GB disk Seagate ST15230N to Sparc 20

Hello,

I have a Sparc 20 and I can't seem to get it to see my 4GB seagate
ST15230N scsi disk unless it's on scsi id 6.  Any other address and I can see
it with a probe-scsi but not from the os when I try and run format.  Has
anyone encountered this before or know of any firmware or patch that can solve
this? I'm running SunOS 5.4

Dino Sims
Aeronomics Incorporated

2. ipchains setup problem - clients wont route through linux router

3. Problem Booting Seagate ST15230N on a SPARC-10

4. Oops... /dev/null is found out.

5. Format.dat for ST15230N (Seagate 4.2G Hawk 4)

6. SSL Accelerators

7. dynamic DNS

8. disklabel and Seagate ST15230N HAWK 4 Family 4.2GB SCSI

9. Unresolved hard disk problem, 2.1.x kernels and Seagate ST36531A 6.4GB UDMA

10. Seagate 4GB {8GB compressed} tape units [Q] ...

11. 4GB Drives: Who's better Seagate or Quantum

12. FS: 73.4GB Seagate Cheetah ST173404LW *NEW* Must sell / new low price / make an offer