Need help for a so simple thing...

Post by Jacques Bourdea » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I've recive my Sparc and need your help for a simple setting :
the DNS server.

I've create /etc/resolv.conf with
nameserver = 205.151.222.250

I can use nslookup : he will ask the DNS server and receive
the corresponding IP address. But when I try any other tools like
ping or netscape, no one can solve a name in IP address.

ping www.yahoo.com --> unknown host
nslookup www.yahoo.com --> 204.71.200.74
ping 204.71.200.74 --> 204.71.200.74 is alive

I've Solaris 7.

Thanks for your help

Jacques Bourdeau

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I've create /etc/resolv.conf with
>nameserver = 205.151.222.250
>I can use nslookup : he will ask the DNS server and receive
>the corresponding IP address. But when I try any other tools like
>ping or netscape, no one can solve a name in IP address.

Edit '/etc/nsswitch.conf' and add 'dns' to the hosts entry.
For more details,

        man nsswitch.conf

Need help for a so simple thing...

Post by Don Woodwar » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

take out the "=" and replace with a space and add "dns" to hosts line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf

-- Don Woodward

Quote:> Hi,

> I've recive my Sparc and need your help for a simple setting :
> the DNS server.

> I've create /etc/resolv.conf with
> nameserver = 205.151.222.250

> I can use nslookup : he will ask the DNS server and receive
> the corresponding IP address. But when I try any other tools like
> ping or netscape, no one can solve a name in IP address.

> ping www.yahoo.com --> unknown host
> nslookup www.yahoo.com --> 204.71.200.74
> ping 204.71.200.74 --> 204.71.200.74 is alive

> I've Solaris 7.

> Thanks for your help

> Jacques Bourdeau

1. not a programmer but need simple ? thing done

For a directory I need the size of each file in it divided by 7 and
displayed - a small shell script should do this for me but I can't
figure out how to go about this - shell programming is not something
I'm up to speed on.

anyone have a simple (probably one line!) answer?

Thanks, shab.

2. Apache and SSI

3. Need some help on a couple things...

4. compaq & smc eth & adaptec scsi

5. newbie need help for a tiny thing :)

6. Quake3/HeavyGear Install Problems

7. A couple things I need help with...

8. REQ: help, simply mounting MSDOS floppy!

9. Need Help on 2 things...

10. NEED HELP GETTING RID OF GRUB/ALL THINGS LINUX

11. I need help on a couple of things:

12. Need help inststalling 3.0.3 - tried several things already

13. need help with weird thing in uuencode format...