Veritas VM dmp & Solaris 8

Veritas VM dmp & Solaris 8

Post by DaviS » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:38:47



Hi all, just a curiosity..

With few information about the architecture :

Solaris 8
SAN HDS 9980
Veritas VM 3.5

And i have this data (an example on disk)

vxdisk list <DISK>
bla bla bla
...............
Multipathing information:
numpaths:   2
c2t50060E8003EABB00d4s2 state=enabled
c5t50060E8003EABB10d4s2 state=enabled

I can't see primary or secondary on controllers, and with a fast check
with iostat :

(second path)

    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    2.4   0   0
c5t50060E8003EABB10d4
    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.0   0   0
c5t50060E8003EABB10d4
    0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.0   0   0
c5t50060E8003EABB10d4

(first path)

   0.0    1.0    0.0    8.2  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.8   0   0
c2t50060E8003EABB00d4
   0.0    1.0    0.0    7.3  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.6   0   0
c2t50060E8003EABB00d4
   0.0    3.0    0.0   24.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.6   0   0
c2t50060E8003EABB00d4

Now, can i suppose in a A/P configuration??? Can i check A/A or A/P on
controllers??

In my mind i remember an option with vxdmpadm for getattr with iopolicy,
maybe in VM > 4.0 version..

Thanks

 
 
 

Veritas VM dmp & Solaris 8

Post by Rodrick Brow » Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:05:48


On 2005-03-08 18:38:47 -0500, DaviS

Quote:> Hi all, just a curiosity..

> With few information about the architecture :

> Solaris 8
> SAN HDS 9980
> Veritas VM 3.5

> And i have this data (an example on disk)

> vxdisk list <DISK>
> bla bla bla
> ...............
> Multipathing information:
> numpaths:   2
> c2t50060E8003EABB00d4s2 state=enabled
> c5t50060E8003EABB10d4s2 state=enabled

> I can't see primary or secondary on controllers, and with a fast check
> with iostat :

> (second path)

>     0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    2.4   0   0
> c5t50060E8003EABB10d4
>     0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.0   0   0
> c5t50060E8003EABB10d4
>     0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.0   0   0
> c5t50060E8003EABB10d4

> (first path)

>    0.0    1.0    0.0    8.2  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.8   0   0
> c2t50060E8003EABB00d4
>    0.0    1.0    0.0    7.3  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.6   0   0
> c2t50060E8003EABB00d4
>    0.0    3.0    0.0   24.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.6   0   0
> c2t50060E8003EABB00d4

> Now, can i suppose in a A/P configuration??? Can i check A/A or A/P on
> controllers??

> In my mind i remember an option with vxdmpadm for getattr with
> iopolicy, maybe in VM > 4.0 version..

> Thanks

You can use "vxdisk path" to verify that all LUN's have two paths to each disk.
"vxdmpadm listctrl all" can be usefull in your case you should see
HDS9980V with two controller names.

Not sure why you dont want to do A/A sinse you mention your using an
9980 you can enable A/A by issuing the following
"vxdmpadm setattr arraytype A/A iopolicy=round-robin"

--
Unix Systems Engineer
The City of New York (DoITT)
http://www.nyc.gov/doitt

http://www.rodrickbrown.com

 
 
 

Veritas VM dmp & Solaris 8

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:08:19



> On 2005-03-08 18:38:47 -0500, DaviS

>> Hi all, just a curiosity..
>> numpaths:   2
>> c2t50060E8003EABB00d4s2 state=enabled
>> c5t50060E8003EABB10d4s2 state=enabled
>> c5t50060E8003EABB10d4
>>     0.0    0.0    0.0    0.0  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.0   0   0
>> c2t50060E8003EABB00d4
>>    0.0    1.0    0.0    7.3  0.0  0.0    0.0    0.6   0   0
> You can use "vxdisk path" to verify that all LUN's have two paths to each disk.
> "vxdmpadm listctrl all" can be usefull in your case you should see
> HDS9980V with two controller names.
> Not sure why you dont want to do A/A sinse you mention your using an
> 9980 you can enable A/A by issuing the following
> "vxdmpadm setattr arraytype A/A iopolicy=round-robin"

My assumption was that he does want A/A, but is surprised by the
imbalance on the paths reported by iostat.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/
Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
         < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

 
 
 

1. VERITAS DMP : DMP path failures

Hello

We are running the following configuration

SF4800
Solaris 8
VRTSvxfs 3.4,REV=GA03
VRTSvxvm 3.1.1,REV=01.30.2001.22.21

The system is connected with two paths to the Storage Area Network
and we enabled VERITAS DMP in order to use the two paths.

The system has been in service for at least two years without any
problems.

Now we got the following messages in /var/adm/messages :

(..)

Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:

Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31   offline
Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 vxdmp: [ID 619769 kern.notice] NOTICE: vxdmp:
Path failure on 32/0x2c14
Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 vxdmp: [ID 997040 kern.notice] NOTICE:
vxvm:vxdmp: disabled path 32/0x2c10 belonging to the dmpnode 227/0x3f0
Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:

Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31   transport rejected (-2)
Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING:

Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31   offline
Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 vxdmp: [ID 619769 kern.notice] NOTICE: vxdmp:
Path failure on 32/0x2c2c
Nov 13 13:58:14 sun31 vxdmp: [ID 997040 kern.notice] NOTICE:
vxvm:vxdmp: disabled path 32/0x2c28 belonging to the dmpnode 227/0x408

(..)

As there are so many entries at the same time stamps, I
do not see which one of a LUN's two SAN - paths actually was
temporarely
interrupted.

# format

(..)  

     205. c4t13d86 <HITACHI OPEN-9 cyl 10014 alt 2 hd 15 sec 96>

     206. c4t13d87 <HITACHI OPEN-9 cyl 10014 alt 2 hd 15 sec 96>

     207. c4t13d88 <HITACHI OPEN-9 cyl 10014 alt 2 hd 15 sec 96>

     208. c4t13d89 <HITACHI OPEN-9 cyl 10014 alt 2 hd 15 sec 96>

(..)

Question :

How can I figure out the name of the LUN (e.g. c4t13d87 )unter
<format>
which has lost one of its two DMP-paths according the messages

<vxvm:vxdmp: disabled path 32/0x2c28 belonging to the dmpnode
227/0x408>

?

I thank you for your efforts

Stefan Schmid

2. Lockd looping - sun/(sol2.4 <-> 4.1.3)

3. Solaris + Veritas + DMP + Compaq storage

4. Solaris, PAM, ssh & Cygwin...

5. Solaris 2.6 Veritas DMP question

6. help pls : RH6.2.sndconf != YMF-724

7. Veritas VM vs Sun VM

8. Suitable motherboards to run Linux?

9. Veritas VM & VxFS Tuning Q?

10. Veritas VM & VxFS Tuning Q? (Repost)

11. how to check free disksize with veritas DMP enabled

12. Solaris 9 Volume Manager vx. Veritas VM

13. Veritas DMP vs Sun StorEdge Traffic Manager