Network Management and Network Administration.

Network Management and Network Administration.

Post by JuNez » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:15:21

i would like to know more about all the questions listed below. Thanks
a lot.

1. What network operating system and client operating system do
network administrator use?

2. What network topology would the administrator recommend? Why?

3. What is the most common problem that they encounter in the network?
How do they solve this problem?

4. What hardware configuration do they use in servers?

5. Name any three network management software applications that are
compatible with Windows NT/2000 Server? Which would be more suitable
for small network and an enterprise network? What are the functions
they perform and protocol(s) they use?

6. What are the key features of VLAN technology? What are the benefits
and limitations of VLAN? Give an example(s) of VLAN applications.

Network Management and Network Administration.

Post by 41 » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 04:36:12

Do your own homework and don't try to get us to do it. Especially don't ask
a Solaris newsgroup for answers to your MS homework.

Post by gary drummon » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:38:04

> i would like to know more about all the questions listed below. Thanks
> a lot.

> 1. What network operating system and client operating system do
> network administrator use?

Since this is the comp.unix.solaris group, the answer is none!
Solaris (Unix) is a network aware (read-networks were designed as part
of the system, not added on...)
Quote:

> 2. What network topology would the administrator recommend?

LANS and WANS with Servers, Workstations, switches and routers
attached as needed.

Why?
It works.

Quote:

> 3. What is the most common problem that they encounter in the network?
Hardware.
> How do they solve this problem?

Fix it.

Quote:

> 4. What hardware configuration do they use in servers?

CPUs and Memory, with disk and tapes as needed-LANs are assumed.
Quote:

> 5. Name any three network management software applications that are
> compatible with Windows NT/2000 Server?

All industry standard monitoring and management systems are
supported on Unix, and some of them have extended support to include
the non-standards-compliant Windoze platforms (if they are up).

NOTE:
Getting what you need from Windoze is best described with a picture.
See- pages.sbcglobal.net/gdrumm/catch-snowflakes.jpg
(Hint - Birds=Windoze, Child=Network Management System)

Which would be more suitable

Quote:> for small network and an enterprise network?

In the Unix world, there is no difference, except for possibly
the speed.
With Windoze, use at your own risk-it changes with each release,
and may not be compatible with previous versions, or after
installing SPn...

What are the functions they perform and protocol(s) they use?
See comp.dcom.net-management and comp.protocols.snmp

Quote:

> 6. What are the key features of VLAN technology? What are the benefits
> and limitations of VLAN? Give an example(s) of VLAN applications.

VLAN as in ATM, or the 802.1q standard? My only experience is when a
FDDI (3 backbones and a port on each server and workstation) was
replaced with an ATM implementation at a cost of about $4.5M.
Performance was about the same, except error recovery was slower, and
the jumpstart ability was lost, so the number of admins was increased.

VLAN as in a secure connection over the internet to a Windoze server?
My only experience with that was installing a Cisco program and trying
to connect to my workplace. It never worked, even on a * Win2K
client. The Windoze guru at work said that it works sometimes, and
other times they can't get it to work. I left while the M$/Cisco
fight was going on...

Gary

1. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

Hi,

I know this newsgroup gets overwhelmed lately with questions about
PPP under Solaris, so I hope some of you still have energy to answer
this one.

I got the SunSolve Document infodoc/11976. In section 3.6 of this
document ( describing net-to-net ) it is clearly written that the
proposed config does NOT work if both parties share the same network
portion of the IP address.

So my question is, what has to change if both have the same network
portion of the IP address ?

Thanks in advance.

Bye.
David.

2. Help...Network setup problem

3. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

4. Needing a site to download Linux

5. Solaris 9 Certification Survey: System and Network Administration!!!

6. OS/2 client can't access Solaris2.2 server

7. Problem with Network Administration Tool

8. AVB Mobile Drive

9. Linux Network Administration Guide

10. Linuxconf for remote network administration

11. Ubuntu System-->Administration-->Networking Error

12. sun solaris 8 network administration certification

13. Announce:Linux System and Network Administration Bootcamp