Problem with large IDE disk on Solaris 7

Problem with large IDE disk on Solaris 7

Post by Jan van de Vente » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 15:38:02

I am running Solaris 7 on an UltraSparc II Engine with an IDE interface. My
problem is that I cannot configure a IDE  disk greater than 8 Gb on this
system. Solaris 7 read different parameters (cylinders, blocks, heads etc)
from the disk label than a PC. I tried to format the disk with the
information I got from a PC, but there seems to be limitations on the above
sizes in Solaris. I have now a 20Gb disk of which only 8 Gb is usable on the
unix system. Is there any one out there who encountered the same problem and
solved it. I will need help please.

Thanks
Jan

Problem with large IDE disk on Solaris 7

Post by Zenon Farias Braga F » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 21:27:59

    Are you using UFS file type when formating your IDE disk?
    Are you using "format" under Solaris?
    In case of you are using "format" :
        1 - Are you choosing 100% ufs under "fdisk" option of "format"?
        2 - Are you run "label" option before going to "partition" option?

sincerely,

Zenon Farias Braga F.

> I am running Solaris 7 on an UltraSparc II Engine with an IDE interface. My
> problem is that I cannot configure a IDE  disk greater than 8 Gb on this
> system. Solaris 7 read different parameters (cylinders, blocks, heads etc)
> from the disk label than a PC. I tried to format the disk with the
> information I got from a PC, but there seems to be limitations on the above
> sizes in Solaris. I have now a 20Gb disk of which only 8 Gb is usable on the
> unix system. Is there any one out there who encountered the same problem and
> solved it. I will need help please.

> Thanks
> Jan

Problem with large IDE disk on Solaris 7

Post by Alberto da Silv » Sun, 07 Jan 2001 02:26:26

use the format/type command to overide the cyl/hdr/sec.
eg. 10240cyl, 64hds, 64sec = 20GB.
to calculate the correct cyl, use LBA sectors and divide by hds & sec.

Alberto

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:24:14

>use the format/type command to overide the cyl/hdr/sec.
>eg. 10240cyl, 64hds, 64sec = 20GB.
>to calculate the correct cyl, use LBA sectors and divide by hds & sec.

except in LBA mode, it seems common to use
255 heads, 53 sec
rather than the physical stuff reported in CHS mode

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. large IDE disk on SPARC Solaris 8

Trying to install Solaris 8 on a SPARC 5 w/ a 40GB IDE drive. Solaris
only seems to want to recognize about 7GB of it. I can fool it into
believing it's about 30GB by telling 'format' that it has alot more
sectors than it really does but then the Solaris 8 install ignores it
starts to format. Any suggestions?

robert

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Kernel Autoconfiguration utility v.0.9.1.2

3. large (>8 Gb) IDE disks on Sparc Solaris 2.6

4. How to fix X Server default colormap

5. Rescue disk with support for large IDE disk?

6. which Apache version for this system ?

7. dd from small ide disk to large disk

8. Apache 1.3.1 problems .... pls help!

9. LILO problem with large IDE disk

10. Large IDE Hard disk problem

11. large ide disk problem

12. Removable large IDE disks (SyQuest SyJet) problems

13. Lilo - problem with large IDE disk