Use of a SCSI Flash disk with a T1 AC200 (or any other rack server) ???

Use of a SCSI Flash disk with a T1 AC200 (or any other rack server) ???

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:24:53



Currently I have a couple of AC200's that I use for routers.

I plan on upgrading these 2 AC200's.
They do not currently use SVM disk mirroring for availablity.
I just dd the drive to have a spare on hand in case of failure.
Now I would like to have a little more comfort level/availability for
these routers.
Instead of going the SVM disksuite mirroring route, I was thinking about
a SCSI Flash Drive. A quick google turns up SCSI Flash Drives. I am not
that familiar with flash drives, but would these work with the SCA2 80
pin scsi connectors? Is there anyone doing this that could recommend a
drive/product for this ?

-Roger

 
 
 

Use of a SCSI Flash disk with a T1 AC200 (or any other rack server) ???

Post by Barbie LeVil » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:41:39


On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:24:53 -0500

Quote:> Currently I have a couple of AC200's that I use for routers.

> I plan on upgrading these 2 AC200's.
> They do not currently use SVM disk mirroring for availablity.
> I just dd the drive to have a spare on hand in case of failure.
> Now I would like to have a little more comfort level/availability for
> these routers.
> Instead of going the SVM disksuite mirroring route, I was thinking
> about a SCSI Flash Drive. A quick google turns up SCSI Flash Drives. I
> am not that familiar with flash drives, but would these work with the
> SCA2 80 pin scsi connectors? Is there anyone doing this that could
> recommend a drive/product for this ?

Welllllllll.....
have you looked at what those things costs?
I think after that you will be using svm.

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
week. Time to die.

 
 
 

Use of a SCSI Flash disk with a T1 AC200 (or any other rack server) ???

Post by Roland Main » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:30:05



> > Currently I have a couple of AC200's that I use for routers.

> > I plan on upgrading these 2 AC200's.
> > They do not currently use SVM disk mirroring for availablity.
> > I just dd the drive to have a spare on hand in case of failure.
> > Now I would like to have a little more comfort level/availability for
> > these routers.
> > Instead of going the SVM disksuite mirroring route, I was thinking
> > about a SCSI Flash Drive. A quick google turns up SCSI Flash Drives. I
> > am not that familiar with flash drives, but would these work with the
> > SCA2 80 pin scsi connectors? Is there anyone doing this that could
> > recommend a drive/product for this ?

> Welllllllll.....
> have you looked at what those things costs?
> I think after that you will be using svm.

Assuming the original poster means solid state disk with "SCSI flash
disk" - yes, these beasts are very expensive but sometimes have huge
advantages. I know a couple of cases where putting the filesystems
metadata on a solid state disk resulted in a gigantic performance boost
beyond everyones imagination (well, inode access was accerlated by
magnitues and this load was offloaded from the data disks...).

Alternative usage for this kind of disks are places where a normal disk
won't surive very long (for example: too hot (near an engine), too many
vibrations (near an engine or in a plane),  strong magnetic fields
etc.).

----

Bye,
Roland

--
  __ .  . __

  \__\/\/__/  MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
  /O /==\ O\  TEL +49 641 7950090
 (;O/ \/ \O;)

 
 
 

Use of a SCSI Flash disk with a T1 AC200 (or any other rack server) ???

Post by Barbie LeVil » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:03:04


On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:30:05 +0200


> Assuming the original poster means solid state disk with "SCSI flash
> disk" - yes, these beasts are very expensive but sometimes have huge
> advantages. I know a couple of cases where putting the filesystems
> metadata on a solid state disk resulted in a gigantic performance
> boost beyond everyones imagination (well, inode access was accerlated
> by magnitues and this load was offloaded from the data disks...).

> Alternative usage for this kind of disks are places where a normal
> disk won't surive very long (for example: too hot (near an engine),
> too many vibrations (near an engine or in a plane),  strong magnetic
> fields etc.).

All correct, but in a router because apparently svm is tomuch hassle?

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
week. Time to die.

 
 
 

Use of a SCSI Flash disk with a T1 AC200 (or any other rack server) ???

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:26:29




>>>Currently I have a couple of AC200's that I use for routers.

>>>I plan on upgrading these 2 AC200's.
>>>They do not currently use SVM disk mirroring for availablity.
>>>I just dd the drive to have a spare on hand in case of failure.
>>>Now I would like to have a little more comfort level/availability for
>>>these routers.
>>>Instead of going the SVM disksuite mirroring route, I was thinking
>>>about a SCSI Flash Drive. A quick google turns up SCSI Flash Drives. I
>>>am not that familiar with flash drives, but would these work with the
>>>SCA2 80 pin scsi connectors? Is there anyone doing this that could
>>>recommend a drive/product for this ?

>>Welllllllll.....
>>have you looked at what those things costs?
>>I think after that you will be using svm.

> Assuming the original poster means solid state disk with "SCSI flash
> disk" - yes, these beasts are very expensive but sometimes have huge
> advantages. I know a couple of cases where putting the filesystems
> metadata on a solid state disk resulted in a gigantic performance boost
> beyond everyones imagination (well, inode access was accerlated by
> magnitues and this load was offloaded from the data disks...).

> Alternative usage for this kind of disks are places where a normal disk
> won't surive very long (for example: too hot (near an engine), too many
> vibrations (near an engine or in a plane),  strong magnetic fields
> etc.).

> ----

> Bye,
> Roland

Being not that familiar with all the exact terminology, I was thinking
of the flash disk card types for IDE/ATA type interfaces (such as
SimpleTech,Sandisk etc.), only for SCSI (if there is such a thing for
SCSI). I've only breifly dabbled with the 512MB IDE/ATA types...

Thanks. I reck'n SVM will do it then...

 
 
 

1. How to go "OK" promt from Netra T1 105 Rack server withour root password.

Dear everybody,

I can't go to Bootprom without root password. I just forget it. My
system is Netra T1 105. Now I swithch on the netra t1 usting lom ( tip
-9600 /dev/term/a) from Ultra5 using general id. so, when I use
command 'reset' from the 'lom' the system is reset but I can't go to
bootprom. Well, If I go to the boot prom than I can change the root
password. I even use the Break key but I can't go the boot prom. So,
What key combination do I need to use 'Break' key, I have ultra5
machine keyboard.

Pls help me...I m in Big trouble....

Bye

Quazi shaklain

2. dtlocal problem....NEED YOUR HELP !!!

3. Can the Netra t1 AC200 take four 512 MB DIMMs for 2 GB RAM?

4. Help deleting file

5. Solaris9 or Express on Netra t1 AC200

6. Raw disks in linux

7. LVD/SE, A1000 and netra t1 AC200

8. Printing file diffs?

9. Installing Netra T1 AC200

10. Non-interactive t1 AC200 jumpstart

11. Solaris 8 on Netra T1 AC200

12. sunOS5.8 install sux on netra T1 AC200

13. Netra T1 AC200