VxVM 2.5: Adding disks: DMP question

VxVM 2.5: Adding disks: DMP question

Post by Team Lea » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:52:24



Hello all.
I'm attaching an A5100 to an E5500. The array is configured as full-loop and
I've two fibre cables connected between the host and the array. format shows
me all disk drives twice with two new controller numbers added to the
devices directory. I understand that since they are dual-ported drives, I
have two paths to them one of which is primary and the other is redundant.
I'm using Solaris 2.6 and VxVM 2.5. I've following questions:
1. I want to create a new disk group and add all the drives in the new array
to that diskgroup. Which controller number (out of the two) should I use?
Does it matter?
2. I've other A5100's connected which are also dual-pathed and in veritas
vxdisk list shows only drives on one of the two controllers for the array.
format shows drives on both controllers.
3. How do I check if DMP is setup properly?

Thanks so much.

 
 
 

VxVM 2.5: Adding disks: DMP question

Post by Mark Hitting » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 11:13:05



>I'm using Solaris 2.6 and VxVM 2.5. I've following questions:

I attempted to use multipathing with that version of veritas for a news
server.  The hope was that the multipathing would improve performance.  I
found that it did not substantially improve performance.  I also had a
fiber channel die and had the volume in question get corrupted.  This was
with storage array 100's so the problems may have been with the ssa firmware.

My advice is to be careful and check into the availability of a newer version
of veritas for Solaris 2.6.  Try to break it in testing before putting it
into production.  Make backups of the volumes that you will multipath just
in case - you would be pushing the envelope by using DMP.

Later

Mark Hittinger


 
 
 

VxVM 2.5: Adding disks: DMP question

Post by B.M. Wrigh » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:49:41



Quote:> Hello all.
> I'm attaching an A5100 to an E5500. The array is configured as full-loop and
> I've two fibre cables connected between the host and the array. format shows
> me all disk drives twice with two new controller numbers added to the
> devices directory. I understand that since they are dual-ported drives, I
> have two paths to them one of which is primary and the other is redundant.
> I'm using Solaris 2.6 and VxVM 2.5. I've following questions:
> 1. I want to create a new disk group and add all the drives in the new array
> to that diskgroup. Which controller number (out of the two) should I use?
> Does it matter?

        You don't the DMP driver decides which to use and you only see one
device under veritas.

Quote:> 2. I've other A5100's connected which are also dual-pathed and in veritas
> vxdisk list shows only drives on one of the two controllers for the array.
> format shows drives on both controllers.

        See above.

Quote:> 3. How do I check if DMP is setup properly?

        vxdisk list on a specific device will show you the number of paths
and which controllers those paths are on.  

        I think you really should have a look at the documentation and look
around a bit harder than you have.  This is answered there and here it
has been asked/answered previously many times as well I'm sure.

--
B.M. Wright

 
 
 

VxVM 2.5: Adding disks: DMP question

Post by Venkat » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 22:45:42


veritad 2.x dose not support DMP we had a fe problems and VERITAS
SUPPORT ASKED US TO UPGRADE IT TO VERITAX 3.X ...

BETTER UPGRADE IT TO VERITAS 3.X ...

vxxm 3.x by default if it sees two paths to a disk it automatically
configures
*DMP

vxdisk list  < veritas disk name >
will show you the multi[hating information ..

my advise : upgrade your vxvm ... to 3.x .. else you will have
problems with 2.x ..

CHEERS

/V



> > Hello all.
> > I'm attaching an A5100 to an E5500. The array is configured as full-loop and
> > I've two fibre cables connected between the host and the array. format shows
> > me all disk drives twice with two new controller numbers added to the
> > devices directory. I understand that since they are dual-ported drives, I
> > have two paths to them one of which is primary and the other is redundant.
> > I'm using Solaris 2.6 and VxVM 2.5. I've following questions:
> > 1. I want to create a new disk group and add all the drives in the new array
> > to that diskgroup. Which controller number (out of the two) should I use?
> > Does it matter?

>    You don't the DMP driver decides which to use and you only see one
> device under veritas.

> > 2. I've other A5100's connected which are also dual-pathed and in veritas
> > vxdisk list shows only drives on one of the two controllers for the array.
> > format shows drives on both controllers.

>    See above.

> > 3. How do I check if DMP is setup properly?

>    vxdisk list on a specific device will show you the number of paths
> and which controllers those paths are on.  

>    I think you really should have a look at the documentation and look
> around a bit harder than you have.  This is answered there and here it
> has been asked/answered previously many times as well I'm sure.