Preparing for Directory Server - Do I need to remove 5.1?

Preparing for Directory Server - Do I need to remove 5.1?

Post by ohay » Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:29:03

Hi,

I am preparing to install Directory Server on a test Solaris 9 machine,
and have been reading through the Sun documents, which indicate that
Directory Server 5.1 is automatically included in Solaris 9.

I checked on the system, and indeed, the "IPL" (Iplanet) packages are
installed.

What isn't clear from what I've read this far is:  Should I remove all
of the IPL packages (pkgrm) before I proceed with installing Directory
Server 5.2?

Or, should I leave them there, and just go ahead and download and
install the Directory Server 5.2?

Thanks,
Jim

Post by Matt » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 03:37:38

> Hi,

> I am preparing to install Directory Server on a test Solaris 9 machine,
> and have been reading through the Sun documents, which indicate that
> Directory Server 5.1 is automatically included in Solaris 9.

> I checked on the system, and indeed, the "IPL" (Iplanet) packages are
> installed.

> What isn't clear from what I've read this far is:  Should I remove all
> of the IPL packages (pkgrm) before I proceed with installing Directory
> Server 5.2?

> Or, should I leave them there, and just go ahead and download and
> install the Directory Server 5.2?

> Thanks,
> Jim

The JDS installation scripts will prompt you for the location to
install.The binaries are 100% self contained, so you can run both side
by side if you wish. I prefer to remove old versions to reclaim disk
space, and ensure that people don't use the wrong versions. Once
you get 5.2 installed, make sure to update your PATH to reflect
the correct binaries.

- Ryan

Preparing for Directory Server - Do I need to remove 5.1?

Post by ohay » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:51:22

Quote:

> The JDS installation scripts will prompt you for the location to
> install.The binaries are 100% self contained, so you can run both side
> by side if you wish. I prefer to remove old versions to reclaim disk
> space, and ensure that people don't use the wrong versions. Once
> you get 5.2 installed, make sure to update your PATH to reflect
> the correct binaries.

Ryan,

Thanks.

BTW, I'm kind of confused about 5.1 vs. 5.2 versions.

Directory Server 5.1 is apparently "part of" Solaris 9, so presumably,
since we have a licensed Solaris 9, it's "included" license-wise.

If we go with Directory Server 5.2 instead, do we have to purchase a
separate license for that, in addition to the Solaris 9 license itself?

What (if any) advantages does 5.2 have over 5.1?

Jim

Post by ohay » Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:31:30

> > The JDS installation scripts will prompt you for the location to
> > install.The binaries are 100% self contained, so you can run both side
> > by side if you wish. I prefer to remove old versions to reclaim disk
> > space, and ensure that people don't use the wrong versions. Once
> > you get 5.2 installed, make sure to update your PATH to reflect
> > the correct binaries.

> Ryan,

> Thanks.

> BTW, I'm kind of confused about 5.1 vs. 5.2 versions.

> Directory Server 5.1 is apparently "part of" Solaris 9, so presumably,
> since we have a licensed Solaris 9, it's "included" license-wise.

> If we go with Directory Server 5.2 instead, do we have to purchase a
> separate license for that, in addition to the Solaris 9 license itself?

> What (if any) advantages does 5.2 have over 5.1?

> Jim

Hi,

Relative to the question in the last sentence/question in my post above,
the main reason why I am installing Directory Server is to do some
testing, become familiar with Directory Server, and to do some internal
comparison between working with Directory Server vs. NIS+ that I setup
previously.

Given that that's the case, is there a compelling reason to install 5.2
vs. 5.1?  In other words, from a functional and management standpoint,
would I see any significant differences if I have 5.2 vs. 5.1?

Thanks,
Jim

Post by Gary Tay Teng Tec » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:48:32

> Hi,

> I am preparing to install Directory Server on a test Solaris 9 machine,
> and have been reading through the Sun documents, which indicate that
> Directory Server 5.1 is automatically included in Solaris 9.

> I checked on the system, and indeed, the "IPL" (Iplanet) packages are
> installed.

> What isn't clear from what I've read this far is:  Should I remove all
> of the IPL packages (pkgrm) before I proceed with installing Directory
> Server 5.2?

> Or, should I leave them there, and just go ahead and download and
> install the Directory Server 5.2?

> Thanks,
> Jim

It's not a must (though better) to remove DS5.1, but the DS5.2 ldap
client commands (ldapsearch,...) will be upgraded.

U may find out the DS51 root directory location, I think it is something
like /var/ds5, and install DS52 onto another root dir location. Update
the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in system or user login profile if needed.

If I am correct, someone said that the license of the downloaded DS5.2
allows 200,000 directory entries?

Rgds
Gary

Post by ohay » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:25:26

> > Hi,

> > I am preparing to install Directory Server on a test Solaris 9 machine,
> > and have been reading through the Sun documents, which indicate that
> > Directory Server 5.1 is automatically included in Solaris 9.

> > I checked on the system, and indeed, the "IPL" (Iplanet) packages are
> > installed.

> > What isn't clear from what I've read this far is:  Should I remove all
> > of the IPL packages (pkgrm) before I proceed with installing Directory
> > Server 5.2?

> > Or, should I leave them there, and just go ahead and download and
> > install the Directory Server 5.2?

> > Thanks,
> > Jim

> It's not a must (though better) to remove DS5.1, but the DS5.2 ldap
> client commands (ldapsearch,...) will be upgraded.

> U may find out the DS51 root directory location, I think it is something
> like /var/ds5, and install DS52 onto another root dir location. Update
> the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in system or user login profile if needed.

> If I am correct, someone said that the license of the downloaded DS5.2
> allows 200,000 directory entries?

> Rgds
> Gary

Gary,

Thanks.  As it turns out though, I found out this morning that I am
going to only need 5.1.

Jim

Post by n.. » Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:56:09

>> > Hi,

>> > I am preparing to install Directory Server on a test Solaris 9 machine,
>> > and have been reading through the Sun documents, which indicate that
>> > Directory Server 5.1 is automatically included in Solaris 9.

>> > I checked on the system, and indeed, the "IPL" (Iplanet) packages are
>> > installed.

>> > What isn't clear from what I've read this far is:  Should I remove all
>> > of the IPL packages (pkgrm) before I proceed with installing Directory
>> > Server 5.2?

>> > Or, should I leave them there, and just go ahead and download and
>> > install the Directory Server 5.2?

>> It's not a must (though better) to remove DS5.1, but the DS5.2 ldap
>> client commands (ldapsearch,...) will be upgraded.

>> U may find out the DS51 root directory location, I think it is something
>> like /var/ds5, and install DS52 onto another root dir location. Update
>> the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in system or user login profile if needed.

>> If I am correct, someone said that the license of the downloaded DS5.2
>> allows 200,000 directory entries?

> Gary,

> Thanks.  As it turns out though, I found out this morning that I am
> going to only need 5.1.

Hi,

The reason's we went with DS 5.2 at work are:
1) There is(was?) a bug in the Solaris 8 Native LDAP Phase II client
(108993-25 and up) when using a machine bound to an LDAP
replica: it won't accept secure-referrals to the master for password
updates. So we needed Master Directory Servers in both of
our datacentres (each with around 100 Solaris clients).
Because the datacentres are connected via a WAN you need
5.2 as 5.1 only allows for 2 Master Directory Servers, and
they should be in 1 LAN.

2) We wanted Masters in each datacentre for hot-write-failover.

3) We wanted 2 DS's per datacentre, and because of 1) this means
2 Masters x 2 datacentres = 4 Masters. DS 5.1 only allows 2, so
DS 5.2 was needed.

HTH, Erik

Post by Matt » Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:50:13

>>>It's not a must (though better) to remove DS5.1, but the DS5.2 ldap
>>>client commands (ldapsearch,...) will be upgraded.

>>>U may find out the DS51 root directory location, I think it is something
>>>like /var/ds5, and install DS52 onto another root dir location. Update
>>>the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in system or user login profile if needed.

>>>If I am correct, someone said that the license of the downloaded DS5.2
>>>allows 200,000 directory entries?

>>Gary,

>>Thanks.  As it turns out though, I found out this morning that I am
>>going to only need 5.1.

> Hi,

> The reason's we went with DS 5.2 at work are:
> 1) There is(was?) a bug in the Solaris 8 Native LDAP Phase II client
> (108993-25 and up) when using a machine bound to an LDAP
> replica: it won't accept secure-referrals to the master for password
> updates. So we needed Master Directory Servers in both of
> our datacentres (each with around 100 Solaris clients).
> Because the datacentres are connected via a WAN you need
> 5.2 as 5.1 only allows for 2 Master Directory Servers, and
> they should be in 1 LAN.

This was finally fixed (as long as you are using the standard SSL port).

Quote:

> 2) We wanted Masters in each datacentre for hot-write-failover.

> 3) We wanted 2 DS's per datacentre, and because of 1) this means
> 2 Masters x 2 datacentres = 4 Masters. DS 5.1 only allows 2, so
> DS 5.2 was needed.

> HTH, Erik

There are some bug, stability and performance enhancements in 5.2 as
well. Check the release notes for the specifics.