IP Address and Hostname

Post by Elliott Hug » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:09:33

Is there a command in Solaris which can translate IP address into
hostname and domain name and vice versa? I know MS DOS has "ping -a" and
Linux has "ping -c". Thanks.

Eli

IP Address and Hostname

Post by Robert Sherma » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:42:11

> Is there a command in Solaris which can translate IP address into
> hostname and domain name and vice versa? I know MS DOS has "ping -a" and
> Linux has "ping -c". Thanks.

> Eli

nslookup [hostname|ip]

IP Address and Hostname

Post by Karel Adam » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:54:38

Quote:> Is there a command in Solaris which can translate IP address into
> hostname and domain name and vice versa? I know MS DOS has "ping -a" and
> Linux has "ping -c". Thanks.

Most versions of Solaris have ping.
Try 'man ping'
It will do something for you

IP Address and Hostname

Post by Howard S. Model » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 07:48:04

> Is there a command in Solaris which can translate IP address into
> hostname and domain name and vice versa? I know MS DOS has "ping -a" and
> Linux has "ping -c". Thanks.

> Eli

nslookup?

--
"don't ascribe to malice that which can be explained by 'Made by Microsoft'"
----

IP Address and Hostname

Post by Khue Pha » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 08:35:12

Try ping -s

Quote:> Is there a command in Solaris which can translate IP address into
> hostname and domain name and vice versa? I know MS DOS has "ping -a" and
> Linux has "ping -c". Thanks.

> Eli

IP Address and Hostname

Post by andy » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:51:32

arp <hostname>

will give you the ip address of a server (in cache only)

otherwise put the names in your /etc/hosts file - when you ping, it
shows the hostname and IP for you.

otherwise nslookup

I'm assumin DOS and Linux use the same tools - or they come with a
random hostname / IP generator ;o)

regards
Andy M