in.telnetd and TCP wrappers

Post by Tony » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 04:45:04

I am trying to configure tcp wrappers and in.telnetd.

My hosts.allow and deny file are asa follows:

ALL: LOCAL, .stanford.edu

Deny:

ALL: ALL

---------------------------------

in inetd.conf

telnet    stream    tcp6    nowait    root    /usr/local/bin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd    in.telnetd

----------------------------------

whenever I try to telnet in, It would wait for 3-4 secs and then connection
to host lost.

When I do a tcpdmatch in.telnetd myhostname

It does show that access is granted

but I get errors with tcpdchk

warning: /etc/inet/inetd.conf, line 39: /usr/local/bin/tcpd inserted before
/usr/bin/in.telnetd

---------------------------------

It will work after I changed the hosts.allow file to in.telnetd: ALL

Any ideas?

Thanks

in.telnetd and TCP wrappers

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:47:20

>I am trying to configure tcp wrappers and in.telnetd.

>My hosts.allow and deny file are asa follows:

>ALL: LOCAL, .stanford.edu

>Deny:

>ALL: ALL

>---------------------------------

>in inetd.conf

>telnet    stream    tcp6    nowait    root    /usr/local/bin/tcpd
>/usr/sbin/in.telnetd    in.telnetd

>----------------------------------

>whenever I try to telnet in, It would wait for 3-4 secs and then connection
>to host lost.

>When I do a tcpdmatch in.telnetd myhostname

My guess is that reverse DNS isn't set up properly for your IP address, so
when it tries to translate your IP to a hostname it doesn't get something
that ends in .stanford.edu.  What happens if you do "tcpdmatch in.telnetd
yourIP"?

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

in.telnetd and TCP wrappers

Post by Tony » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:00:01

if I do tcpdmatch it says access denied.

> >I am trying to configure tcp wrappers and in.telnetd.

> >My hosts.allow and deny file are asa follows:

> >ALL: LOCAL, .stanford.edu

> >Deny:

> >ALL: ALL

> >---------------------------------

> >in inetd.conf

> >telnet    stream    tcp6    nowait    root    /usr/local/bin/tcpd
> >/usr/sbin/in.telnetd    in.telnetd

> >----------------------------------

> >whenever I try to telnet in, It would wait for 3-4 secs and then
connection
> >to host lost.

> >When I do a tcpdmatch in.telnetd myhostname

> My guess is that reverse DNS isn't set up properly for your IP address, so
> when it tries to translate your IP to a hostname it doesn't get something
> that ends in .stanford.edu.  What happens if you do "tcpdmatch in.telnetd
> yourIP"?

> --

> Genuity, Woburn, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the

group.

in.telnetd and TCP wrappers

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:45:52

>telnet    stream    tcp6    nowait    root    /usr/local/bin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd    in.telnetd

You have to remove the /usr/sbin/in.telnetd or the in.telnetd.

Perhaps telnetd gets confused because it gets an extra argument?

Quote:>whenever I try to telnet in, It would wait for 3-4 secs and then connection
>to host lost.

That means it refuses the connection.

Quote:>warning: /etc/inet/inetd.conf, line 39: /usr/local/bin/tcpd inserted before
>/usr/bin/in.telnetd

That points to the error in inetd.conf

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.