Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

Post by Ryan A. Krenzische » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten the AHA-39160 scsi card to work with
solaris 7.  Adaptec's site says Solaris 7 supports it but I can't find
anything in the Solaris 7 HCL.  And also, there is a note attached to it
"**Available from O/S vendor" under the operating systems column.  To see
what it is that I'm talking about, visit:

http://www.adaptec.com/products/guide/ultra160scsi.html

and look under operating systems and the 39160 column.

So, what does "Available from O/S vendor"?  Is there a patch to Solaris?

Thanks.

Ryan

Ryan A. Krenzischek
2124 Harmony Woods Road
Owings Mills, Maryland 21117-1644

Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

Post by Ryan A. Krenzische » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[..cut..]

Quote:> Also, you didn't specify whether you are talking about Solaris x86 or
> Solaris Sparc, there is definitely a difference in driver availability,
> and in the HCL, between the two versions of the OS.

Solaris IA32.  But even so, it is not listed.  Unless the scsi host chip
is different from the actual model number.  But what would adaptec have to
gain by claiming that their scsi card works with solaris 7?

Post by Ryan A. Krenzische » Sun, 30 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> What indeed, other than ill will from customers who find out that
> it is apparently not supported.

I'm sorry.  I mis-read the adaptec page.  it stated that the support for
their new Ultra 160 controller cards will be available Summer of 2000 for
Solaris 7.

Ryan

Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

Post by M. N » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

How about Solaris 8? I just bought that and it has no*in clue that
I have a 29160N... Sheesh, you'd think someone like Sun would be up to
speed on SCSI host adapters...

:/.

M.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 02:33:45 GMT, "Ryan A. Krenzischek"

>> What indeed, other than ill will from customers who find out that
>> it is apparently not supported.

>I'm sorry.  I mis-read the adaptec page.  it stated that the support for
>their new Ultra 160 controller cards will be available Summer of 2000 for
>Solaris 7.

>Ryan

Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

Post by Benjamin Kaufma » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

That's more performance than what Sun would like to see coming from a
non-SPARC box. :-)

Ben

Quote:>How about Solaris 8? I just bought that and it has no*in clue that

--
Ben Kaufman

Do not send SPAM. I will send it back to your de-hacked ISP
with a letter of complaint. Section 301 does not apply because
you have been forewarned!
For all others, change the domain name to pobox

Adaptec AHA-39160 SCSI Card and Solaris 7....

Post by Lisa Portma » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

I was informed by Sun's SCSI driver dude that The Ultra stations will not
support any U2 or U160 SCSI cards.  They are going directly from 40MB to
Fibre.

Any Solaris support will be for x86 only.

Lisa

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!