Help -- Internet Access on Solaris 2.5

Post by Simon Brigg » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have the following problem(s) with my Sparc 2

1. I think the machine thinks it is a router, the only way I have been able
to get DNS, ping, ftp, or netscape working is to define a route to the
network that the system im trying to connect to is on

        for www.yahoo.com 204.71.200.66

        route -v add -net 204.71.200 207.100.175.1

207.100.175.1 is the address of the Cisco router on our LAN, it goes to
another router which connects via frame relay to the icix/uunet backbone

I read on docs.sun.com that the system assumes that the machine is a router
if there are more than one address in the /stc/hosts file. So I removed the
other one (local host/loopback) and left just the address of the cisco
router.

2.    I have no idea if the changes I made in nsswitch.conf are right

3. I have no idea if resolv.conf is correctly set up

4. I am confused as hell about this whole thing, if anyone can provide me
with the names of the files and how to configure them I would greatly
appreciate it. Thanks.

Other info you might need:

The system is a SS2 running Solaris 2.5.1

The hostname (nodename?) is Simons-SS2 (if necessary for some reason I will
change it)

When booting the system runs the routing daemon (i think that this is part
of the problem)

The static IP address for this machine is 207.100.175.25 the subnet is
255.255.255.128 the domain I am on is sdscom.com (i think so, the comapny's
www server is at 207.100.175.2 so that is what i'm guessing)

I have no NIS or NIS+ server available

I need to use DNS, my DNS servers are at 206.72.128.98 and 206.72.128.34

The router that should be used is at 207.100.175.1

I am new to Solaris so if you can provide the modified versions of the
necessary files (or verbose descriptions of the modifications that are
necessary) please do.

Thanks for the help

Simon Briggs

Post by Robert Yode » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have the following problem(s) with my Sparc 2

> 1. I think the machine thinks it is a router, the only way I have been able
> to get DNS, ping, ftp, or netscape working is to define a route to the
> network that the system im trying to connect to is on

>         for www.yahoo.com 204.71.200.66

>         route -v add -net 204.71.200 207.100.175.1

> 207.100.175.1 is the address of the Cisco router on our LAN, it goes to
> another router which connects via frame relay to the icix/uunet backbone

> I read on docs.sun.com that the system assumes that the machine is a router
> if there are more than one address in the /stc/hosts file. So I removed the
> other one (local host/loopback) and left just the address of the cisco
> router.

> 2.    I have no idea if the changes I made in nsswitch.conf are right

> 3. I have no idea if resolv.conf is correctly set up

> 4. I am confused as hell about this whole thing, if anyone can provide me
> with the names of the files and how to configure them I would greatly
> appreciate it. Thanks.

> Other info you might need:

> The system is a SS2 running Solaris 2.5.1

> The hostname (nodename?) is Simons-SS2 (if necessary for some reason I will
> change it)

> When booting the system runs the routing daemon (i think that this is part
> of the problem)

> The static IP address for this machine is 207.100.175.25 the subnet is
> 255.255.255.128 the domain I am on is sdscom.com (i think so, the comapny's
> www server is at 207.100.175.2 so that is what i'm guessing)

> I have no NIS or NIS+ server available

> I need to use DNS, my DNS servers are at 206.72.128.98 and 206.72.128.34

> The router that should be used is at 207.100.175.1

> I am new to Solaris so if you can provide the modified versions of the
> necessary files (or verbose descriptions of the modifications that are
> necessary) please do.

First, execute these commands:

  man hosts
  man resolv.conf
  man nsswitch.conf
  man defaultrouter

Second, look at /etc/init.d/inetinit.
  Search for the word "notrouter" and read the
  commented paragraph just above it.

Third, fix these files:

  /etc/inet/hosts -----------------------------------------

    127.0.0.1      localhost
    207.100.175.25 simons-ss2 simons-ss2.sdscom.com loghost

  /etc/defaultrouter -----------------------------------------

    207.100.175.1

  /etc/nsswitch.conf -----------------------------------------

    passwd:         files
    group:          files
    hosts:          files dns
    networks:       files
    protocols:      files
    rpc:            files
    ethers:         files
    netmasks:       files
    bootparams:     files
    publickey:      files
    netgroup:       files
    automount:      files
    aliases:        files
    services:       files
    sendmailvars:   files

  /etc/net/ticlts/hosts -----------------------------------------

    simons-ss2 simons-ss2

  /etc/net/ticots/hosts -----------------------------------------

    simons-ss2 simons-ss2

  /etc/net/ticotsord/hosts -----------------------------------------

    simons-ss2 simons-ss2

  /etc/nodename -----------------------------------------

    simons-ss2

  /etc/hostname.le0 -----------------------------------------

    simons-ss2

  /etc/resolv.conf -----------------------------------------

    search sdscom.com
    nameserver 206.72.128.98
    nameserver 206.72.128.34

Fourth, reboot.

Robert Yoder
--

"Unix:  The Solution to the W2K Problem."

1. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

 Hi All,

  Just wanted to pass on some excellent deals on Solaris 2.5.1 software with
the WABI user interface for x86 machines. The WABI allows you to run many
Windows 3.1 applications on a UNIX box, giving you the best of both worlds.
Imagine, running MS OFFICE components like, MS Word for Windows, Excel,
Powerpoint, and interfacing with the functionality of UNIX at the same time.

For a limited time, John Cristy, at Executive Tools, Inc.,
is offering:

  Solaris 2.5.1 User Desktop package for $175.00
  Solaris 2.5.1 Application Server package for $395.00

Ref URL http://www.etools.com for full information and additional products.

They also have a student special (99.00 + shipping)(yes, you read that
right, Solaris 2.5.1 user desktop for $99.00).

Mention my name, Bob Fahey, and he will throw in the Java Workshop for
$85.00. Mention my name anyway, as he wants to know what the response is to
this.
If asked where you heard this, tell them not just the web, but the Newsgroup
you read it on.  Thanks.

The Executive Tools web site URL http://www.etools.com also has some
excellent links to other Solaris and Sun information pages.

 Executive Tools is not associated with this posting, so, if you have any

 replies, good or bad!

--
//signed//

URL http://www.3lefties.com/users/faheyb.html
Famous quote by daughter Elizabeth, "If I was them cows, I'd run away!"

2. AF_UNIX sockets?

3. Solaris 2.5 Internet or web sites

4. 16650 UART based serial port

5. PPP Setup on Solaris 2.5 to Internet Service

6. Samba RH7.2 & Winblowz W2K pro

7. Solaris 2.5/Internet Server 1.0 Qs

8. Program to recorder from line input

9. HOW TO: Use Solaris 2.5 PPP to connect to the Internet

10. access and leaks checking with dbx (solaris 2.5)

11. Restricted root access - Sudo binaries for Solaris 2.5 Anyone ?

12. Problem with direct access to /dev/lp1 on Solaris 2.5 x86

13. Accessing inb/outb under Solaris 2.5 x86