PLEASE: Threads performance

Post by Francisco Jor » Sun, 21 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

Sometime ago I read an article in this newsgoup in which somebody
gave the approximate time relation between the time consumed by a signal sent
and the different thread synchronization facilities like semaphores, lock
variables and condition variables.

Could you post it again, please? I have lost the article and I am very
interested in this information.

        Thanks

                        F.Jorge

1. Performance improvements binding threads to CPUs or thread priorities

I'm using a SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60 -
which has 2 CPUs.  In my case, there is a c++ application that
consists of several worker threads that are responsible for heavy
computations, and several other threads for receiving data via udp and
tcp, and another thread for sending results via tcp.

1. Can someone point out some advantages of binding a thread/lwp to a
cpu? I'm looking for some docs, or concrete cases of when this would
be beneficial. I tried using processor_bind() in a sample test, but
could not see performance gains.

2. I tried to increase the priority of the computational threads, and
likewise did not see any performance improvement. Can anyone suggest
ways I can leverage priority scheduling for the above application ?

MR

2. RTnet lost

3. Threads, threads, threads

4. How to check if my linux PC was installed with firewall ?

5. Threads in linux versus threads in NT and threads in Solaris.

6. libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO

7. Example ipchains setup script

8. threads packages: kernel threads vs. user threads

9. POSIX threads, thread-specific data: what about the "main" thread?

10. Threads performance - allow signal handler to not call handler

11. slow performance with threads on Solaris 2.4

12. aging threads - performance issue