jumpstart directory not found

Post by albertoor.. » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 04:54:07

Hi,
  I'm trying to jumpstart a machine in solaris 2.5.1 environment,
everything seems fine, the client machine mounts root and the install
filesystems, but it fails saying:

  Searching for Jumpstart directory...not found
  Warning: could not find matching rule in rules.ok.

when snooping in the server, it seems to request sucesfully to the
bootparamd, but not the install_config.
also, after that I manually mounted the install_config (e.g.
/opt/jumpstart from the install server) filesystem in the machine
without problems, but it won't do it automatically.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

jumpstart directory not found

Post by Steve Menar » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:30:07

You need to put the entry
share -F nfs -o ro /opt/jumpstart
into the /etc/dfs/dfstab file
then run the shareall command.
This will automatically mount the file system at boot time nad the
server to be jumpstarted will find it.
Check the advanced installation guide for more info.

Steve.

> Hi,
>   I'm trying to jumpstart a machine in solaris 2.5.1 environment,
> everything seems fine, the client machine mounts root and the install
> filesystems, but it fails saying:

>   Searching for Jumpstart directory...not found
>   Warning: could not find matching rule in rules.ok.

> when snooping in the server, it seems to request sucesfully to the
> bootparamd, but not the install_config.
> also, after that I manually mounted the install_config (e.g.
> /opt/jumpstart from the install server) filesystem in the machine
> without problems, but it won't do it automatically.

> any help will be appreciated.

> Thanks.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

jumpstart directory not found

Post by Even Hol » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 01:13:33

Quote:>Hi,
>  I'm trying to jumpstart a machine in solaris 2.5.1 environment,
>everything seems fine, the client machine mounts root and the install
>filesystems, but it fails saying:

>  Searching for Jumpstart directory...not found
>  Warning: could not find matching rule in rules.ok.

>when snooping in the server, it seems to request sucesfully to the
>bootparamd, but not the install_config.
>also, after that I manually mounted the install_config (e.g.
>/opt/jumpstart from the install server) filesystem in the machine
>without problems, but it won't do it automatically.

>any help will be appreciated.

Look at the broadcast adress when it ask for install_config vs. some of
the other parameters used from the bootparams-file. I've had some
problems when dealing with subnets which didn't use the same broadcast
range as the jumpstart server. (Note: This is only a problem if your
subnets isn't 256-adresses subnets)

In my case it started out using x.y.255.255 as broadcast on a x.y.190.z-
subnet, and suddenly it changed to x.y.191.255 because it believed that
the subnet was a 512-adresses subnet.

Regards,
Even Holen
--

jumpstart directory not found

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:20:41

[Even Holen]

Quote:>   Look at the broadcast adress when it ask for install_config
>   vs. some of the other parameters used from the
>   bootparams-file. I've had some problems when dealing with subnets
>   which didn't use the same broadcast range as the jumpstart
>   server. (Note: This is only a problem if your subnets isn't
>   256-adresses subnets)

>   In my case it started out using x.y.255.255 as broadcast on a
>   x.y.190.z- subnet, and suddenly it changed to x.y.191.255 because
>   it believed that the subnet was a 512-adresses subnet.

I don't see the problem.  We use a /21 in a B-net, it works
flawlessly.  Solaris will change the broadcast address as soon as it
has got NIS running and can look it up in netmasks.  A Solaris server
will respond to wider-than-necessary broadcasts, but I'm not sure what
happens if you have aggregated two C-class networks into a /23.

Kjetil T.

jumpstart directory not found

Post by albertoor.. » Sun, 05 Nov 2000 15:43:09

that's exactly what happened, before getting NIS environment the client
broadcasted x.x.255.255, but after getting NIS it broadcasted x.x.x.255
 and the jumpstart server had an incorrect broadcast address. I changed
to the x.x.x.255  and it worked, thaks.

Quote:> [Even Holen]

> >   Look at the broadcast adress when it ask for install_config
> >   vs. some of the other parameters used from the
> >   bootparams-file. I've had some problems when dealing with subnets
> >   which didn't use the same broadcast range as the jumpstart
> >   server. (Note: This is only a problem if your subnets isn't
> >   256-adresses subnets)

> >   In my case it started out using x.y.255.255 as broadcast on a
> >   x.y.190.z- subnet, and suddenly it changed to x.y.191.255 because
> >   it believed that the subnet was a 512-adresses subnet.

> I don't see the problem.  We use a /21 in a B-net, it works
> flawlessly.  Solaris will change the broadcast address as soon as it
> has got NIS running and can look it up in netmasks.  A Solaris server
> will respond to wider-than-necessary broadcasts, but I'm not sure what
> happens if you have aggregated two C-class networks into a /23.

> Kjetil T.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

jumpstart directory not found

Post by Even Hol » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>[Even Holen]
>>   Look at the broadcast adress when it ask for install_config
>>   vs. some of the other parameters used from the
>>   bootparams-file. I've had some problems when dealing with subnets
>>   which didn't use the same broadcast range as the jumpstart
>>   server. (Note: This is only a problem if your subnets isn't
>>   256-adresses subnets)

>>   In my case it started out using x.y.255.255 as broadcast on a
>>   x.y.190.z- subnet, and suddenly it changed to x.y.191.255 because
>>   it believed that the subnet was a 512-adresses subnet.

>I don't see the problem.  We use a /21 in a B-net, it works
>flawlessly.  Solaris will change the broadcast address as soon as it
>has got NIS running and can look it up in netmasks.  A Solaris server
>will respond to wider-than-necessary broadcasts, but I'm not sure what
>happens if you have aggregated two C-class networks into a /23.

As stated, albeit in numerics, I installed on a different subnet which
is a /24 net, and the jumpstart server (not the boot server) is on a
/23 net. This gave rise to the situation that when it looked up in
netmasks it erroneously stated that my subnet should be a /23 net. (We
don't run NIS at all, but it does uses the netmasks file which I ended
up changing to suit my needs)

I'm not quite clear whether what net we are connected to regarding
A, B or C, but I think that our university is a B-net.

Regards,
Even Holen
--

1. JumpStart Directory not found

Hi.

We have created a install server with directory (/install/install_5.8)
containing Solaris software, directory (/install/install_5.8) with
rules.ok and profile and directory (/install/install_5.8/client_01)
containing sysidcfg.

With
add_install_client -c installserver:/install/install_5.8 \
                   -s installserver:/install/install_5.8 \
                   -p installserver:/install/install_5.8/client_01 \
                   -e <ether> -i <ipnum> client_01 sun4m
client war registered.

Client starts booting, finds sysidcfg-file (that meens that
installserver is found and /install/install_5.8 ist NFS-shared) but
cannot find JumpStart directory.

Who can give an advise what the problem is? Has a JumpStart directory to
have special properties?

Thanks.
Knut

= Knut Ecknigk                          YLine e-Solutions Germany GmbH =
=                                                                      =
= Phone +49 221 3091-523                Bonner Strasse 172 - 176       =
= Fax   +49 221 3091-569                D-50968 Koeln                  =

2. how can I restrict telnet access to only computers on my lan?

3. Jumpstart cant find the jumpstrt directory

4. How do you receive email over modem by SLIP

5. Can't find jumpstart directory??

6. Hitachi PII 266 Notebook, Ethernet trouble

7. not a directory / boot not found

8. lapack++ for linux, any one?

9. Linux2.0: can not login, home directory not found!

10. not a directory / boot not found - SOLVED

11. Jumpstart x86: How not to PXE after jumpstart finishes and reboots ...

12. Jumpstart not jumpstarting a Sparcstation2

13. Jumpstart - profile not found error